Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 19, 2004, 06:45 PM   #1
dogus1
macrumors newbie

4x-8x DVD-R media burning in 2x SuperDrive

I have a 15" Aluminum Powerbook FW800 with the 2x Superdrive (Mat****a UJ-816). According to an article on Apple's website, these older Superdrives, while able to use the new "hi-speed" DVD-R media (4x and 8x), they will only write at 1x unless you buy specific, older 2x DVD-R media.

Is this true? If so, where can one buy the older media that you can be sure will write at 2x and not 1x? I noticed that Apple no longer sells any 2x media of their own.

Or, is this article out of date and has this problem been overcome? I've noticed that at the store some media says 1x-4x, instead of just 4x -- is this some kind of advancement that will utilize all speeds in between?

Thanks.
dogus1 is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:32 PM   #2
r6girl
Administrator/Editor

Send a message via AIM to r6girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogus1
I have a 15" Aluminum Powerbook FW800 with the 2x Superdrive (Mat****a UJ-816). According to an article on Apple's website, these older Superdrives, while able to use the new "hi-speed" DVD-R media (4x and 8x), they will only write at 1x unless you buy specific, older 2x DVD-R media.

Is this true? If so, where can one buy the older media that you can be sure will write at 2x and not 1x? I noticed that Apple no longer sells any 2x media of their own.

Or, is this article out of date and has this problem been overcome? I've noticed that at the store some media says 1x-4x, instead of just 4x -- is this some kind of advancement that will utilize all speeds in between?

Thanks.
self-serving bump! i was just about to post this exact same question, then tried to search first and found this thread. i have a powerbook (rev A 12", 10.3.3) with the mats****a uj-815 drive and would like to know what type of dvd-r disks i can buy. any help would be greatly appreciated!

marianne
Old Jun 2, 2004, 07:51 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogus1

Thanks.
Well, you can always elect to burn a a CD-R/DVD-R at a rate lower than its maximum burn speed. So it may not mean anything.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers