Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1
AGSHender
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to AGSHender
Difference between retail and OEM OS X discs?

I'm going to wipe my old MacBook and install 10.5 fresh on it to give to my girlfriend (since I just replaced it with a MacBook Pro), and I was wondering if there's a difference between the OEM disc of OS X that came with my MacBook Pro and the retail copy I could buy at the Apple Store. Can the disc be used on another Mac or is it somehow tied to my original system? I know I've had trouble using OEM copies of Windows on other systems in the past.

Keep in mind that I'm not committing piracy here--I've already ordered a Mac Box Set family pack, but I'd just like to do the work this weekend and my copy won't arrive until next week.
AGSHender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:25 PM   #2
TwinCities Dan
macrumors 603

The retail will work on any recent mac, the OEM is tied to the computer model it came with.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:31 PM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4

There is no such thing as an OEM MacOS X disc. What you are talking about is the System Restore disc. It is designed to returned a specific model Macintosh to its as-shipped state. It will restore one specific model Mac and no other. These discs are colored gray.

A retail MacOS X disc can be used to install the OS on most Macs that shipped with an earlier version of the OS. These discs are dominated by black.

The takeaway message has two points:
  • If you buy the System Restore disc for a 2009 MacPro with the intent of installing its OS on a 2008 iMac, then you are SOL. You have a new coaster.
  • If you want to use a 2008 version of MacOS 10.5 to reinstall the OS on your 2009 MacBook Pro, then again you are SOL.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:36 PM   #4
TwinCities Dan
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
If you want to use a 2008 version of MacOS 10.5 to reinstall the OS on your 2009 MacBook Pro, then again you are SOL.
Really!?! So my retail version of leopard DVD won't work on any of the newer 09 models? I had no idea, I thought the retail would work on any recent mac.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:39 PM   #5
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCities Dan View Post
Really!?! So my retail version of leopard DVD won't work on any of the newer 09 models? I had no idea, I thought the retail would work on any recent mac.
This is surprising. It is well known and has been so stated on this forum many times: You cannot install a version of MacOS X on a computer that shipped with a newer version.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:59 PM   #6
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCities Dan View Post
Maybe the newer '09 models need something in firmware that's not yet on the retail disk? Code for the newer mobo?
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Eric S.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Maybe the newer '09 models need something in firmware that's not yet on the retail disk? Code for the newer mobo?
Newer OS drivers, not firmware.
Eric S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:40 PM   #8
larkost
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
It is not firmware (since that is by definition included in the new hardware) but rather the old OS disks do not have the drivers to drive the newer hardware since they were produced before the disks were produced.
larkost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:23 PM   #9
AGSHender
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to AGSHender
Thanks for the answers, everyone. Looks like I'll just have to wait until next week when the discs arrive to get my old MacBook up and running with Leopard.
AGSHender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:11 PM   #10
TwinCities Dan
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
This is surprising. It is well known and has been so stated on this forum many times: You cannot install a version of MacOS X on a computer that shipped with a newer version.
Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	20
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	177461  

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X