Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:56 PM   #1
superxero3
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to superxero3
USB tethering on windows

I searched and couldn't find an answer. I have USB and bluetooth tethering working on my mac, but I'm trying to get it to work on my friends laptop running windows. Is it possible to tether (BT or USB.. hopefully USB) on a windows machine?
2.4Ghz aluminum MacBook
superxero3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:01 PM   #2
TecnoMuzik
macrumors newbie

I was tethering with my Windows XP laptop last night and I saw another user post they had their Vista machine tethered, so yes you can.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:03 PM   #3
jman240
macrumors 6502a

You must have iTunes 8.2 installed on the PC, it includes the tethering driver you need.
jman240 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:04 PM   #4
superxero3
macrumors regular

well that's good to know.. anything fancy you had to set up? or did it just work. I tried to turn it on and plug it in, but the windows box didn't do anything.. i duno what to do haha
2.4Ghz aluminum MacBook
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:17 PM   #5
superxero3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman240 View Post
You must have iTunes 8.2 installed on the PC, it includes the tethering driver you need.
thats it thank you!
2.4Ghz aluminum MacBook
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:21 AM   #6
Marvin1379
macrumors 6502

Download and install itunes 8.2, open itunes (just for the first time tethering). plug in iPhone and turn on tethering in Settings > General > Network Internet Tethering (assuming you already applied the hack .... see other threads for that).

Your Windoze computer should now recognize the phone as an Ethernet connection...go to the internet or open the itunes store and watch as you have an open connection!
Marvin1379 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:51 PM   #7
stevejhalo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin1379 View Post
Download and install itunes 8.2, open itunes (just for the first time tethering). plug in iPhone and turn on tethering in Settings > General > Network Internet Tethering (assuming you already applied the hack .... see other threads for that).

Your Windoze computer should now recognize the phone as an Ethernet connection...go to the internet or open the itunes store and watch as you have an open connection!
Hey, I did this and when I plug the USB into my PC I see the Local Area Connection 2 (Apple Mobile Device) pop up but with a red x. Network cable unplugged??

Any ideas on what is wrong.

Thanks
stevejhalo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Marcink
macrumors newbie

Make sure to enable "Apple Mobile Device" Service and let iTunes see iPhone

I've had the very same problem with attempts to teather resulting in Windows indicating "Network cable unplugged".

I finally got it to work by making sure that the "Apple Mobile Device" service is running, and letting iTunes see the device (i.e. starting iTunes with iPhone connected over USB).
Marcink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:45 PM   #9
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TecnoMuzik View Post
I was tethering with my Windows XP laptop last night and I saw another user post they had their Vista machine tethered, so yes you can.
It even works on Windows 7
danpass is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:47 AM   #10
rajpatel121
macrumors newbie

iPhone tethering issues

Hey,

I am also having the same issues I can enable the tethering from the iPhone, where my Windows XP laptop detects the iPhone Enternet drivers and etc... Although the Internet Connection says its unplugged.

I am using the USB cable for this connection and I have SBSetting tethering toggle to enable the tethering.

I hope someone can help me get this working, asap. All help provided very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Raj
rajpatel121 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 09:10 PM   #11
driestenberg
macrumors newbie

I did jaibreak and then got the app MyWi (from Rock Your Phone) it has both WiFi and USB once you load iTunes it works great. I have Win 7 on my Mini Dell works like a charm for both WiFi and USB the USB will be cheaper if you are using ATT depending upon what you data plan is. I found also that when using WiFi the phone got a little hot after about 30 minutes of use. Mite want to be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpatel121 View Post
Hey,

I am also having the same issues I can enable the tethering from the iPhone, where my Windows XP laptop detects the iPhone Enternet drivers and etc... Although the Internet Connection says its unplugged.

I am using the USB cable for this connection and I have SBSetting tethering toggle to enable the tethering.

I hope someone can help me get this working, asap. All help provided very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Raj

Last edited by driestenberg; Jan 1, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
driestenberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting