Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMac19

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Pitt
I'm kicking myself for not being able to find it, but I can't seem to locate the itunes Burn button. I even looked through help and it just says "click the burn button" and I can't even find the darn thing!
please lend a hand to a newbie...
Cheers,
-tom

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
So simple it's confusing....

The burn button replaces the 'browse' button in the top right of the window when you have a playlist selected. So to burn something, make a playlist of it, and select the playlist. To burn an album, drag the album from the album list to the playlists panel, and it'll make a playlist automatically, or just make a new playlist and drag all the songs into it.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
it's in the upper right hand corner. It's usually the "browse" buttonin library view. But once you select a playlist it changes to "burn

Attachments

• Picture 2.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 183

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
burn button

after you make a playlist, the burn button will be in the top right when there is a blank cd in the drive being used by iTunes. So, put a disk in the drive, you should be prompted to choose what program you want to use it with, choose iTunes. Make the playlist, and the burn button will appear in top right. It is where the Browse eye is at when just using iTunes to play music.

TheMac19

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Pitt
Many thanks, that's right where I thought it would be, but I didn't know that I had to create a playlist. now for two more easy questions:
1) If I rip songs from a CD to my computer as MP3 or ACC, won't there be a generational loss of quality when I burn a CD, since itunes converts them back into the normal CD format?
2) What's the quickest and easiest way to simply copy CDs on my new powerbook? (without buying new software... I'm used to a PC tower with two drives -> put in a CD and a blank one and two minutes later it's copied and done.) I imagine that there is an easier way than ripping a CD on the the hard drive, opening it in itunes, creating a playlist and then burning, no?

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
TheMac19 said:
Many thanks, that's right where I thought it would be, but I didn't know that I had to create a playlist. now for two more easy questions:
1) If I rip songs from a CD to my computer as MP3 or ACC, won't there be a generational loss of quality when I burn a CD, since itunes converts them back into the normal CD format?
2) What's the quickest and easiest way to simply copy CDs on my new powerbook? (without buying new software... I'm used to a PC tower with two drives -> put in a CD and a blank one and two minutes later it's copied and done.) I imagine that there is an easier way than ripping a CD on the the hard drive, opening it in itunes, creating a playlist and then burning, no?

1. use Apple's Lossless Codec. there will be a generational loss of quality if you rip a burnt CD, but if you use high quality AAC's (custom setting of 320 or a little less) and burn those you'd be fine. Lossless is the way to go if you are really concerned tho.

2. You would need two drives. Look into an external firewire.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
TheMac19 said:

can't you make a disc image the size of CDR, put all the songs in AIFF format from the CD then burn the image onto a CDR?

never tried it, but sounds to me like it should work.

by the way, if you don't intend on keeping ripped songs and are worried about loss of quality, rip the CD at full AIFF format using iTunes then burn those onto a CDR. that will be the exact duplicate of the original CD, no loss in quality. (this is the same thing as my suggestion above, except i'm not 100% sure about the method above.)

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
BrianKonarsMac said:
2. You would need two drives. Look into an external firewire.

I don't have my PB here at work to verify this, but you should be able to use Disk Utility (Panther) or Disk Copy (Jaguar) to copy a CD using one drive. You might have to manually go from CD->disk image->CD, but it can be done.

And if you're really concerned about loss of quality, you should rip the songs into AIFF or WAV. (no compression)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Since you have one Drive for disk duplication you'll need to make an image using Disk Utility and then burn that.

If you had an external Burner, you could just burn it that.

I liked it better when OSX had Disk Copy. It was easier for newbies to find and operate. Disk Utility sounds like somewhere you go for fixing your disks, not copying them.

Roxio's Toast is a good alternative. It's equivalent to something like Nero on the PC.

FrankMayberry

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
I can't find the burn button either

I went to itunes, selected the playlist, selected the items I wanted to record -checked the little box for each tune. I went to edit, preferences, burning, clicked on ok when all the proper items were checked. But the browse button still doesn't change to a burn button. What am I doing wrong? FrankMayberry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.