Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ace1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2004
From 24th sept: Kent, UK
I recently got me a brand new Powerbook G4 from my brother, and I was wondering if it possible to play VCD's (burned for PCs) on Mac's? If so, I would be happy for a tip regarding how I proceed.

Thanks!

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
There is a way to play them. In Quicktime you can open the dat files on a VCD and play them. You cannot see the menus though. This might require 10.3, I don't remember. The other option is MacVCD X which costs $20 and is at http://www.mireth.com/pub/mxme.html

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Hmm, I guess everyone already beat me to it... but what the hell, I'll post it anyways - VLC is the best media player out there in my opinion - I have yet to come across a file it can't play. I have MPlayer as well though, but have never needed to use it.

Just download VLC - it's free and awesome! :cool:

ace1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2004
From 24th sept: Kent, UK
thanks a bunch for the tips!

I downloaded the VLC-player, and it seemed great in the beginning, but then I realized I didn't have any sound. I can't see to find out why either. But I guess I can contact the people at the the VLC-site for that problem. That's if there's nobody who's had that problem here? ;)

I run OS X Jaguar by the way.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
perhaps you are not outputting audio to the correct source? try adjusting VLC's audio outputs. or maybe your VCD was encoded with a propietary Windows codec and VLC doesn't recognize the audio format, but is capable of playing the video codec. Windows encoded videos are kind of hit or miss, some are REALLY screwy.

aclose72

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2004
ace1 said:
thanks a bunch for the tips!

I downloaded the VLC-player, and it seemed great in the beginning, but then I realized I didn't have any sound. I can't see to find out why either. But I guess I can contact the people at the the VLC-site for that problem. That's if there's nobody who's had that problem here? ;)

I run OS X Jaguar by the way.

i had this problem on the pc (haven't tried it on the new PB yet).
err, no, i had sound but no video. but i was trying to play it on my tv through the computer. one thing that helped was downloading updated drivers for the laptops videocard and then turning off mirroring so that only the tv was being used as an external monitor. now it works great, but i'm looking forward to try it out on my PB. ;)

i guess my reply kinda got off topic and didn't really answer your question did it? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.