Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Senn
macrumors member

Anyone elses compass not work while in a car?

So the compass app and the compass feature in google maps does not work while Im in my car. It says there is interference and it cant calibrate. If I get out of my car it works fine.

If the metal in a car does indeed interfere with the compass..then this is completely useless. I was only happy because I thought it could tell which direction Im heading while driving..and so far that doesnt work.
Senn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Blackforge
macrumors regular

Yes mine worked after I calibrated it.
Blackforge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:09 AM   #3
iGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senn View Post
So the compass app and the compass feature in google maps does not work while Im in my car. It says there is interference and it cant calibrate. If I get out of my car it works fine.

If the metal in a car does indeed interfere with the compass..then this is completely useless. I was only happy because I thought it could tell which direction Im heading while driving..and so far that doesnt work.
Your car is a big hunk of metal, that's what is interfering.

The compass is intended for foot use.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Stangs55
macrumors 6502a

Sorry...but just metal should not interfere.... Now maybe there are some electronics or an in-car compass that is interfering....but not the frame of the car.
Stangs55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:11 AM   #5
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senn View Post

From Apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767

Quote:
If you wish to mount iPhone 3G S on a car's dashboard and use Compass or Maps, do not wave the device in a figure 8 to calibrate. Instead, mount iPhone 3G S, open Compass or Maps, and disregard the message to calibrate. iPhone 3G S will eventually re-calibrate after several turns.
rorschach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:30 AM   #6
BigOrangeSU
macrumors regular

How come my google maps isn't showing the direction I am pointed? I thought that was a feature

edit: NVM tap the location button twice
BigOrangeSU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:51 AM   #7
djinn
macrumors 65816

Just stick your arm out the window to use the compass.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
timotheezz
macrumors regular

How to RE-calibrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackforge View Post
Yes mine worked after I calibrated it.
I've read a few threads here about the compass being inaccurate. I, too, have been having issues. In maps, my location is accurate, my the direction I'm facing is like 45 degrees off.

After the initial calibration I have not been able to get the option to calibrate again. Does anyone know how to re-calibrate?

It's very minor, I know. But it's just frustrating.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:43 PM   #9
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post
Sorry...but just metal should not interfere.... Now maybe there are some electronics or an in-car compass that is interfering....but not the frame of the car.

Apparently you don't know anything about magnetism, magnetometers or compasses. Do some research into magnetic deviation related to a compass. All boats that rely on a magnetic compass for navigation have a deviation table plotted for all points around the compass. The amount of error will be different in any particular direction. The table allows you to correct for the deviation.

A car not only has a shell of metal and a frame of metal but also a huge hunk of metal called an engine. That engine also has an alternator attached that creates it's own magnetic field. ALL of these things will interfere with the proper use of a compass. Turn off the car and you'll still have problems (electronics eliminated). Get out of and step well away from the car and the problem disappears.

The calibration will help within the car but once outside of the car it will no longer be calibrated because the same forces affecting it for the calibration are not involved.
avaloncourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:26 PM   #10
BrownManUPS
macrumors 6502a

I don't even get the figure 8 motion...what is going on with that?

I still don't know how to get it to work in the car. I tried waiting and it does it sort of in the background but not as great as it could be (and is very wobbly)
BrownManUPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:18 PM   #11
flapperdink
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownManUPS View Post
I don't even get the figure 8 motion...what is going on with that?
i too am really curious on what we are exactly doing when we move it in the figure 8 motion. being an electrical engineer i admit i am very nerdy with these types of electronics, but i can't come to a conclusion on what we are actually doing when we do that. i was thinking that a gyro-type device is used in conjunction with the magnetometer, but i don't see any way how moving it in a figure 8 motion is tied to a magnetic-only device.
flapperdink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:30 PM   #12
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapperdink View Post
i too am really curious on what we are exactly doing when we move it in the figure 8 motion.
My Grand Cherokee required that I drive in a circle three times to calibrate its onboard compass.

From what I can tell, magnetometer makers have proprietary algorithms for self-calibration that you can license and use in your OS code.

My guess is the figure-8 is used to average out any magnetic anomalies around you.
kdarling is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:37 PM   #13
michael31986
macrumors 65816

has the compass been useful for anyone yet?
michael31986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:52 PM   #14
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael31986 View Post
has the compass been useful for anyone yet?
Yes, for Apple trying to sell iPhones.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone