Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
(Not sure if this is the right place. Move if nessesary.)

This is what Croquer dans la Pomme states: (so so translation)

-----
2004-05-20 - G5 Trinity with the WWDC

G5 equipped with PPC975 (code name: Trinity) will be announced
with the WWDC and deliverable at the latest in APPLE Expo. The PPC975
consumes on average 65W with 3 GHz and integrates 98 million
transistors. All the models will have two Superdrive site and 4 sites
of hard disk. Side its, 24-bit 192Khz at least on the top-of-the-range
one. APPLE will propose with ATI a graphics board PCI-express train
professional of the type Fire GL.

Config (likely to change):

Mono PPC 975 To 2,2 GHz AGP 8x FSB 1,1 GHz Superdrive

Dual PPC 975 to 2,6 GHz PCI-Express train 16x FSB 1,3 GHz
Superdrive Extreme (double layer)

Dual PPC 975 to 3 GHz PCI-Express train 16x FSB 1,5 GHz
Superdrive Extreme (double layer)
-----
These guys have been dead-on several times. In fact they announced the last Powerbook and iBook revision a few days before their release and were exact on all the specs! I'm not saying they are infallible, but they seem to have some real info (kinda like ThinkSecret).

Anyhow, I'd love to see this happen!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Wow, 65W - that's going to be a lot of heat.....so look for a lot of noise....

But it will be nice to see real pro level graphics cards if its true..

D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Really big heat, considering IBM has been publishing their typical # (which is about 1/2 of max.)

So it would be more than the current 130nm 970 in 2GHz PowerMac, and Apple didn't publish the 970 Max numbers only the 970fx -- because they were quite hight.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Mr. Anderson said:
Wow, 65W - that's going to be a lot of heat.....so look for a lot of noise....

D

How many watts do the current 2, 1.8, and 1.6 processors run at?
How much more noise would their be between a dual 2 GHz now and a dual 3 GHz?

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
I've never heard of this site before... I don't know about the reliability of their rumors but i dunno...

Borg3of5

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Orlando, FL
Hmmm...

I highly doubt that any new iteration of the G5 will include space for any single processor, but I may be wrong.

I'm probably going out on a limb by saying this, but I'd not be surprised if Apple barely sells any 1.6 GHz G5's. The Dual 1.8, however, is a sweet spot being only 9-10% faster than a Dual 2.0.

Here's to my school financial aid disbursement going to a middle of the road Rev.B G5, plus a 20" display. Heck I might even wait until the Spring semester to splurge and get a 23" if it's still around. :confused:

dbauer

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, OH
hmmm...

I don't understand something and maybe you guys can enlighten me. Intel's Prescott core processors dissapate 100W of heat (3.2GHz P4). Why then does 65W seem high? That's still about 25W less than a Athlon64 and the last Athlon system I built used about the same amount of heat and I made it almost silent by using high quality fans and power supplies. That was with a 7200RPM disk as well.

Am I missing something, or is the paranoia about heat a little misleading?

Regardless, I too think the new G5 will have PCI Express video and dual layer DVD burners. Pretty exciting stuff.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
dbauer said:
I don't understand something and maybe you guys can enlighten me. Intel's Prescott core processors dissapate 100W of heat (3.2GHz P4). Why then does 65W seem high?
Because IBM isn't showing their Maximum dissipation numbers, so while a 1.8 970FX might seem like a low Watt competitor to the G4 and or Prescott, the Max number really don't hold up as well.

If it's 65W Typical, the Max number will really curl your hairs -- or be in the Prescott ballpark, if not above it.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
65 watts for a desktop isn't too bad, considering the wattage of other chips at similar speeds. 65 watts in a laptop, though, is not that great...

I'm doubtful of the 2x superdrives, although I don't doubt that they'd make an enclosure with 2 optical drive bays, and room for 4 hard drives (seeing as that that's what my current MDD G4 has...) It would also make it a much better machine, than the current, 1 optical drive, 2 HD machine they have now. Besides, with the amount of advancements Apple made with the first G5, I wouldn't be surprised to see this stuff in the new G5's.

Lets hope the new G5's are at least as good as these rumors say...

alxths

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2003
I believe that it will happen not because of what that site says, but because apple can't afford to release anything less. They're carrying a lot of momentum right now, adn with their claim last summer to be at 3 GHz by august(or setp 21?) it'd just a a huge dissappointment to release say, 2.6 GHz at WWDC..

They'll probably push the mid models a bit more this time, advertising the 3Ghz ones as beign for those who NEED as much power as possible, and don't mind wearing ear protection while at the computer ;)

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Borg3of5 said:
I highly doubt that any new iteration of the G5 will include space for any single processor, but I may be wrong.

I'm probably going out on a limb by saying this, but I'd not be surprised if Apple barely sells any 1.6 GHz G5's. The Dual 1.8, however, is a sweet spot being only 9-10% faster than a Dual 2.0.

Here's to my school financial aid disbursement going to a middle of the road Rev.B G5, plus a 20" display. Heck I might even wait until the Spring semester to splurge and get a 23" if it's still around. :confused:

Maybe everyone here is much richer than me. In Australia, the 1.6GHz G5 begins at AU$3199. The dual 1.8GHz system, is AU$4399. That's a big difference. It's roughly equivalent to adding a quality 17" flat panel CRT and an extra gigabyte of RAM to the 1.6, or to put it another way, being able to buy a combo drive eMac as well for the kids or spouse.

It's a stretch for many to afford even the base level G5...it's already priced towards the top end of the desktop computer market in Australia, and doesn't even include a monitor. The dual 1.8GHz system (and certainly the single 1.8GHz system that preceded it) is simply too expensive for some. I would be very surprised if the 1.6GHz systems are all sitting around gathering dust on Apple's warehouse shelves as you suggest. If you want an expandable Mac, the 1.6GHz G5 is your only option unless you want to part with a rather substantial AU$4399 (and then you still have to buy a monitor).

Apple has priced the run-out OS9 booting dual 1.25GHz G4 only a few hundred AU$ cheaper than the 1.6GHz system...of course all the usual disclaimers apply (no FW800, louder fans, inferior video card, no SATA, no front-mount I/O ports, and of course, slower for practically all single CPU aware tasks and slower even on certain SMP-aware tasks).

If you can afford a dual 1.8GHz system, obviously it is a superior machine, and compared to the dual 2GHz model, is absolutely hits the price/performance sweet spot. But for those on a budget who need an expandable Mac (ie: not an iMac/eMac/iBook/PowerBook), the 1.6GHz system certainly has a place in the market. Check my sig :)

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
oingoboingo said:
Apple has priced the run-out OS9 booting dual 1.25GHz G4 only a few hundred AU$ cheaper than the 1.6GHz system...of course all the usual disclaimers apply (no FW800, louder fans, inferior video card, no SATA, no front-mount I/O ports, and of course, slower for practically all single CPU aware tasks and slower even on certain SMP-aware tasks).

Sorry, just to correct that, the run-out dual 1.25GHz G4 with a Superdrive is actually about AU$250 **more** expensive than the single 1.6GHz G5 with Superdrive. The dual 1.25GHz combo drive and the 1.6GHz G5 are around the same price if you spec the G5 also with a combo drive.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
This would be very welcome.... I hope these rumors are true... or the dream rumors where Apple brings out a system that would have the suggested specs for Longhorn... not that it would be able to run it, nor that I would want it to, but just as a in-your-face argument that I would be having with about 5000 PC users....

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I heard from a reliable source that the new G5 towers will be water cooled. this means they will be even more quiet then they are now.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
guys. water cooled cpu systems have existed for a while now. its not some pipe dream... its a reality.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
RandomDeadHead said:
And btw, anyone who has beef with the 1.6 has beef with me.

I don't understand why some are down on the 1.6.. the damn thing has an 800mhz frontside bus for pete sake. I envy anyone with a 1.6 G5.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
yes... lets all laugh at the man who says apple will be using a technology that exists already. one that is proven to cool much better and is real. not fake as many of you seem to think.

I will say this in bold capital letters so no one misses it...

WATER COOLED CPU TECHNOLOGY IS REAL AND HAS EXISTED FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS NOW. IT DOES NOT GET ANYTHING WET.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
blue&whiteman said:
WATER COOLED CPU TECHNOLOGY IS REAL AND HAS EXISTED FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS NOW. IT DOES NOT GET ANYTHING WET.

Not gonna happen bro, this is more of a PC sector type thing.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
dopefiend said:
Not gonna happen bro, this is more of a PC sector type thing.

the system I saw water cooling working on was a dual power mac G4 with a very hot running upgrade. I will post the url with pics if I can find it.

this is a start anyway: http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index31.asp

why doesn't someone say apple will put another usb port on these models or something else very realistic so I can laugh and make fun of you... :p

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
My guess on updates are this:

If IBM is having a tough time sending out a processor that powers a xserve, these updates the frenchies have listed can't be true. If they were true, Apple would take the so call 975 chip, scale it down, and plop it in the xserve. Although these specs will happen some day in the future, I don't think it will be at WWDC in 2004.

My guess for WWDC (this is a total shot in the dark and I'm not going to try and guess all the accessories; only proc speeds):

PowerMac
2.0 ghz (single)
2.4 ghz (dual)
2.6 ghz (dual)
I called the speeds the last time. Lets go for two in a row!

IMac
1.6 ghz (single)
1.8 ghz (single)

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
i bet these specs are pretty dead on. Dual Layer burners are only at 2.4x right now, so that's pretty accurate (i remember someone saying they wouldn't use a 2x superdrive). i seriously hope these machines can hold 4 internal harddrives...2 is just NOT ENOUGH!! two optical drives would be welcome, but after becoming accustomed to one, i don't see the need (other than to do direct duplications of DVD's without copying to the hard drisk).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.