Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi there,

So my uMBP 17" arrived today. Bloody nice machine. Still getting used to the size coming from a uMB 13".

My question is regarding the HDD. Its a 500GB 5400rpm Hitachi drive (the stock model it comes with). I have a 500GB Western Digital one I bought for my Macbook - not sure whether its faster - its a 5400rpm drive still. What are other peoples views on the Hitachi 500GB drives Apple use?

If I were to buy a faster drive, and fit it myself, does that void the warranty? If so how do I upgrade the HDD? Through Apple?

thanks.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Does not void your warranty and Apple usually doesn't do upgrades for HDD's, they just replace them. As for performance, you have to look up benchmarks but I'd assume the 500GB WD should perform a bit faster than the stock Hitachi HDD.

oojosheoo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Its easy to swap. Im not sure on the new unibody macbook pro. But on mine i needed a torx drive to take off from the HDD.

Also I upgraded my stock HDD to a Hitachi 320 GB 7200 RPM but then I changed the drive again to the WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB 5400 RPM and the weird thing is its faster then my 7200 drive.

From xbench i got 38-45 on the Hitachi drive and 55-60 on the WD Scorpio Blue.

good luck

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Just to add about the Torx, it's a number 6 IIRC at some point of the install for the HDD. All I can add is that the WD based on a bunch of folks here on MR is it's faster than the stock HDD and a good price point as well.

I know in the manual that it goes through and tells/shows you how to change out the HDD and also adds, it will not void your warranty which is good to know :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.