Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I really wanted to order a Speck case for my MacBook Pro order (still not sure if to go 13-inch or 15-inch, that's another story), but the Apple Store says the current MacBook 13-inch case is not compatible with the new MacBook Pro 13-inch. :(

Anyone know how long Speck takes to modify it's cases when new MacBook Pro's are release? I'd like to keep my Mackie scratch free.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I would say 4-6 Months. When the new 17" Unibody MBP came out in late Jan '09 most people got them in late February and Speck (I think) just released their 17" Unibody speck case late last month. So a good 4-6 months (hopefully sooner then later) it will hit their online store.

Dman51

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
Spoke to both Apple and Speck. The case will fit though some ports may be obstructed as they switched around the lock port to the right and eliminated the input jack on the left. Speck says within about a month there will be new cases as its just re-cutting them to give access to the new ports the dimensions are the same.

wdmeuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Does anyone know if the InCase HardShell cases for the 13" Unibody Macbook's fit the Pros? I'm guessing as above with the Speck case some ports will be hidden but I wouldn't use the lock thing that's been moved. Is the headphone socket still accessible? (Sorry to ask about a different case but didn't want to start new thread).

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
I would say 4-6 Months. When the new 17" Unibody MBP came out in late Jan '09 most people got them in late February and Speck (I think) just released their 17" Unibody speck case late last month. So a good 4-6 months (hopefully sooner then later) it will hit their online store.

I think it will be alot sooner then that. Well, for the 13" and 15" anyways. The 17" might be a different story.

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
I'm using the satin see thru

I've got the 13 Satin See Thru and the only thing covered up is the place for the lock. Since I don't use it, I think it's great. I also ordered on Amazon so it was a lot cheaper than getting it at the Apple Store (plus they have a good return policy.)

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Spoke to both Apple and Speck. The case will fit though some ports may be obstructed as they switched around the lock port to the right and eliminated the input jack on the left. Speck says within about a month there will be new cases as its just re-cutting them to give access to the new ports the dimensions are the same.

:D Good news! A month is not much of a wait.

hanurk

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
I'm so torn between getting the old one or waiting for the new speck to come out! I'm going off to school on july 17, so I'm hoping it comes out by then but I dont use the kensington lock anyways so I don't know whether to just buy the old one or wait...

The new ones are just recut, correct? No new design?

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
As stated previously, the speck clear case for the unibody macbook fits perfectly on the new 13" MBP. The only thing that is obstructed is the lock hole.

hanurk

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
but i've heard that the audio in jack is a little cramped so some headphones cut off

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Not quite. For anyone thinking about buying the 13" MB Speck case - you should watch this first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XOdIka4ow

Whatever. Mine fits perfectly. My audio port isn't obstructed and headphones fit perfectly and flush. Same with my power cord. In fact, my power cord is plugged in now. I guess it depends on each one being cut a little more precise. If you want to be absolutely sure then wait. If not, order from somewhere like Amazon where you can return it.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Whatever. Mine fits perfectly. My audio port isn't obstructed and headphones fit perfectly and flush. Same with my power cord. In fact, my power cord is plugged in now. I guess it depends on each one being cut a little more precise. If you want to be absolutely sure then wait. If not, order from somewhere like Amazon where you can return it.

So your Speck case is different to the one being reviewed on YouTube? Because if there is only 1 revision of the Speck case for MacBook 13" and there's only 1 model of the MacBook Pro 13" then I fail to see how your fits perfectly??!

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
So your Speck case is different to the one being reviewed on YouTube? Because if there is only 1 revision of the Speck case for MacBook 13" and there's only 1 model of the MacBook Pro 13" then I fail to see how your fits perfectly??!

Mine fits perfectly as well.. no obstructions.. except the lock hole..

King James

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
if the new speck comes out in time for me to exchange I'll probably do it. If not, the problems the old case cause are not enough for me to spend an additional $50 or however much for a new one.

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008

I don't know how many revisions there are. All I know is mine fits and I've been using it for about a week and since I don't use the lock, I have access to everything and everything works.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
How good (or bad?) are these Speck cases?

And how much thickness do they add to the laptop?

Thanks.

yossim

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
Pacific Northwest

You could always take a pocket-knife and just shave the plastic off to make a little more room for the headphones jack. That's what I would do...

jkredwine

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
video not of the same case

This thread is about the see-thru SATIN case for the mb 13"

The video was very clearly a plain see-thru hard shell case by speck.

That may be why the people commenting on the thread had theres fit perfectly... the satin case fits better on the new 13" mbp then the hardcase.

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Hi,

I bought a 17" Speck Case for the UMBP. After reading so many positive user feedback for it, I have to say, I am quite disappointed. It certainly is not as well made as the previous one I had for an older MBP that was made by Incase. It is a bit more flimsier than the Incase version and one can tell that it cheaper quality plastic and the finish/edges are not as good either. You can tell it made by a cheapo process. On mine, one of the rear plastic tabs does not snap on and is bent back a fair bit so it sort of just flops unattached at that corner leaving a large gap for dust and dirt to get in. It is too far bent back to manipulate back to the desired position and because all tabs need to be engaged to keep the shell attached, the bottom shell just comes off very easily.

The top shell affects screen position in that it always creeps back so one ends up having to adjust regularly to keep it in desired position. I have written to Speck but am still awaiting a reply. I paid the equivalent of US $80 for two pieces of cheap, crap plastic - I could have got a really decent laptop bag for that!

I would recommend others look at Incase instead - note though that their products seem to be top notch but in my experience, their customer service was not only an absolute joke but also non-existent!

Bazzy!

discoburg

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Am using the Speck satin see thru for my mbp 13". I am ok with the lock on the right side being blocked. However the power cord is now connecting to my mbp at a angle as the side is not being blocked by the satin see thru.

Hope the mbp 13" Satin see thru will not have this problem anymore.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
This thread is about the see-thru SATIN case for the mb 13"

The video was very clearly a plain see-thru hard shell case by speck.

That may be why the people commenting on the thread had theres fit perfectly... the satin case fits better on the new 13" mbp then the hardcase.
The only problem with your idea is the fact that they're both made the exact same way, one is just made of a softer plastic.

Both are cut with the same machines, in the same factory, at the same time, with the same measurements.

Nice try though, I think it might just be such a tight squeeze that it varies slightly with some people, or with some headphones, perhaps some sit differently because of the way the plastic or rubber is on the plug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.