Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I just need help trying to take out this darn hard drive.

It won't come out.
There are two hard drives in my G5 right now, I'm trying to pull both of them out.

I tried to do the bottom one first, didn't work. Tried the top one, didn't work.

I'm stumped, and I tried my hardest to take them out.

I followed these instructions:
http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/g5/073-0851.pdf

Shrapnel

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Is the lever you pulled at the back to remove the side panel still pulled back? I believe it also locks the drive bays when closed.

-Shrapnel

Nevermind, that might just be on the Mac Pro's.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if I'm wrong. But I believe the bottom one must come out first then the top one can be removed by pulling out then down and out. It takes some force to get them out if memory serves correctly.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if I'm wrong. But I believe the bottom one must come out first then the top one can be removed by pulling out then down and out. It takes some force to get them out if memory serves correctly.

A lot of force.

My palms are really sweaty (They are always like that), so when I tried to take it out, my hands kept on slipping. Trust me, I put all my force into it, and it still didn't come out.

I tried everything on the bottom one. Looks like I'll have to keep it in there :/:mad:

SCSnare

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Austin, TX
Try sticking a couple screwdrivers on the sides of the bottom drive in the guide slots. That will help unlock the thing and then try to pull the drive out.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Did you turn the drive locking tabs on the right side of the drive bays, as shown in Fig 4 of the pdf? Can't remember which direction, likely up, but each drive has a piece of plastic/metal that rotates and prevents the drive from coming out at the wrong time. I assume you noticed those, but just checking. The post above is correct, the bottom drive must come out first before you can remove the top drive.
Good luck

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Try sticking a couple screwdrivers on the sides of the bottom drive in the guide slots. That will help unlock the thing and then try to pull the drive out.

Yes, I tried that already.

Yes, the tabs are in the unlocked position.

It's okay though, I figured out my whole hard drive arrangement, and have it all worked out.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yes I rememeber having to pull my hard drive out with needlenose pliers. It was tough to pull out but it eventually came out. I believe it's those black pegs that screws into the hard drive, they have a thin rubber coating on them to reduce vibration and will "stick" to the hard drive tray.

But yes, the bottom one comes out first then the top one slides out about a 1/4 then tilts down, then slides out at on angle then pulls straight out.

Needle Nose Pliers might work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.