Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok im using a canon hi8mm camcorder. i have av outputs on the camera. i want to get the video into my computer so i can edit it in fcp or imovie. I found this http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=over&product_code=278724&pfp=cat3, but it comes with software that says it only runs for the pc. Any suggestions or help would be great. i went to staples and bestbuy asking for some sort of converter a/v to usb but they said they didnt have any. Please help .thanx

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Answer

Canopus or acdv sumthin or other. Gonna run you about $300, and you can use imovie or fcp express or better.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
Canopus ADVC300

There is a newer version of the above item, the ADVC300, which just got a perfect rating in MacAddict, but it sells for around $475. You can also find the above item cheaper if you shop around. There is also an older item from Formac, but Apple has recently stopped selling it (replacing it with the above item), which usually isn't a good sign.

There are cheaper things out there, as well, but be careful. Many of them do not convert to DV format and many are not Mac compatible. Stay away from any of the older USB ones, they stink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.