Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd say only 25% of my voice commands when using iPod are understood. That's it.

Anyone else having major problems with voice recognition?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
I'd say only 25% of my voice commands when using iPod are understood. That's it.

My wife's 3G S get's about 10% of her commands correct. Very disappointing. If it works this poorly for everyone, I'd say Apple should get sued.

I assume it works better for some people, and that it will improve some with software updates. But seriously, if my wife's experience is typical, they have a big problem on their hands. They are, after all, advertising this as a feature.

The thing is, sometimes it's not remotely close.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Works great with contacts and phone numbers but iTunes is a joke. 10% maybe? Hope there is a software update for it soon.
The voice command for the Google app is phenomenal in my use.
The new phone needs to get to that level.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Good point....phone numbers and contacts seem okay.

But using it through the iPod is sooooooo annoying, my gosh, I would try 25 times for the song "same in the end" would not for the life of me play it and there were many more that I can't think of off the top of my mind.

JaxPlanet

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
iPhone Voice Control Limitations 1/7/2010

Yes, but I discovered that I wasn't having any problems. What I thought were problems were actually a limitation of the current implementation of Voice Control. Apple told me that they would add them to their list of improvement requests.

So, if you are having these problems, there is nothing you can do except wait for the update.

1. You cannot voice dial any number other than a 10-digit number. (E.g. You cannot say "Dial 611")
2. Voice dial will not call a Contact unless the name is in the Name field. (E.g. if you have a contact named "Apple" and it is in the Company field you cannot voice dial it. You have to place "Apple" in the Name field for voice dial to recognize it.)
3. You cannot cancel a voice dialed call verbally if it selects the wrong name. You must physically unlock the phone and then cancel the call using the buttons. Unfortunately, by this time it is already ringing and you have to complete the call or hang-up on the misdialed number.

All of these features work perfectly using a Windows phone with Microsoft Voice Command so it is tough for a new iPhone user like me.

However, Apple is doing an excellent job of updating Voice Controls so I am just going to wait for them add these features.

I hope this helps.

peytons

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
mine's broken too

I have not experienced JaxPlanet's #1 - I said "call 311" the other day and the iPhone dialed correctly.

However, I'm running into #2 - is it just me, or did company-name-only contacts work in the last firmware and they don't now??

mtn.lion

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
So, JaxPlanet, you still think Apple is "doing an excellent job of updating Voice Controls"?

More than a year after your post, you still can't voice dial a contact by company name on the iPhone. That's more than a year and a handful of iPhone OS updates, and you still can't do something that we've been able to do on Windows Mobile phones for about 8 years. It's obviously a conscious decision by Apple that this capability isn't worth adding the couple of lines of code it would require. It's insulting.

I mentioned this once to a technology reviewer, and she responded as though I must be the only person on the planet who would ever put a company contact on my iPhone with no person's name. (Or maybe like no one under 30 would be caught dead using voice dialing at all.)

Dunno; seems pretty handy to me.

"Call Domino's Pizza"
"Call T-Mobile Customer Care"
"Call Dell Support"
"Call Best Buy"
"Call Apple Store"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.