Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
bildio
macrumors regular

Question Bluetooth & Battery Drain

Should bt be turned off when not in use to conserve battery? Does it search for a device when the ipod touch is in the sleep/off mode?

Last edited by bildio; Jun 21, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
bildio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
nateo200
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildio View Post
Should bt be turned off when not in use to conserve battery? Does in search for a device when the ipod touch is in the sleep/off mode?
Turn it off if you know you won't need it. I liked keeping mine on for ***** and giggles and to see that cool Bluetooth symbal next to the battery but the Bluetooth+wifi drains my battery like I have the screen on full brightness.
nateo200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:38 AM   #3
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

Yes, with bluetooth ON there will be some battery drain, even if it's not connected to anything. It's in "discoverable" mode, and as such is alway watching for other bluetooth devices. AFAIK there is no way to keep bluetooth ON and NOT in discover mode.

If you're using bluetooth with bluetooth headphones, then turn the screen off. You'll save more power having the screen OFF than not using Bluetooth would have saved. When they fix bluetooth to support track fwd/back you'll be able to forget your music is even coming from your Touch.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
bildio
macrumors regular

Does it try to "discover" in the sleep mode?
bildio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
inspirations365
macrumors regular

I noticed this today too. It's like BT is the battery killer. I've never had to charge my touch more than twice a week, but since using the BT I've had to charge it two days in a row!

And everything people have said up until now I can confirm:
-Thought it worked with my BT dongle, the Touch will not natively support the forward and back controls on my headset.
-Having the screen locked when you aren't using the screen will conserve much of your battery. I think this is because it shuts off discovery mode, which is indeed the reason the battery leaks like a dutch loche.

Hopefully Apple will release a fix for the above when the push the next update. I'm very happy that the Touch got native BT support though. I can sell my dongle, and aesthetics matter to me, so now I look even cooler, lol!
inspirations365 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch