Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Good deal?

• Yes

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Previous iBook sold, found another. Still a good deal?

iBook G4 (Early 2005)

1.33GHz G4 Processor
12" 1024x768 Screen
40GB HDD
Combo ODD
512MB RAM
Airport Extreme
Bluetooth
2 Hour Battery
Will run 10.5

Offer accepted for the iBook is $250.

I plan on installing:
160GB HDD
1GB RAM

for $84, coming to a total of...

$334

I've disassembled and reassembled my Clamshell iBook G3 a few times, so I think I can handle the upgrades.

I should mention this is for my girlfriend; I've already got my dream computer.

What's the verdict. Is it a good deal, or not?

Germwise

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
if you have a leopard dvd lying around for that money you can get an msi wind or other hackingtosh laptop with 5 hours battery life and much more portable.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
I wonder why some people are saying no. If this computer suits your needs than go for it. It may crap out on you in a year or 2 or it may not. It is a bit of a chance simply because it is older and wont be covered by apple anymore, but in all honesty, if you get a year or so use out of it, than I think it is worth it.

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
The only reason they could say no is because of how the PPC Macs are pretty much obsolete as of September. Since Leopard is the last OS that will ever go on it. (Mac-wise)

But if this is just for the kiddies, then go for it. Leopard is good enough and will be fine for years.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
My sister is currently using my iBook G4 (same specs as above but upped to 1.25GB RAM) and it's a sweet little laptop. If you can, invest in a new battery, those iBooks will run and run and run and run. Easily 5+ hours of basic websurfing.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
My mom has almost the exact same thing (although the 1GHz) and it runs really nice for basic web surfing, youtube, mail and Office 2008. It's from 2004/2005 and the only upgrades I've made are 160 GB HDD, 1,25GB RAM and a new battery during that time. For that price, it's a steal! :D

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
For that price, it's a good deal. Is the hard drive the single platter hitachi that runs obscenely fast?
Seagate Momentus 5400.3 (Perpendicular Recording) ST9160821A 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache ATA-6 Internal Laptop Hard Drive.

I wonder why some people are saying no. If this computer suits your needs than go for it. It may crap out on you in a year or 2 or it may not. It is a bit of a chance simply because it is older and wont be covered by apple anymore, but in all honesty, if you get a year or so use out of it, than I think it is worth it.
I told her that even if it only lasts a year or two, it's better than not having a notebook at all.

The REAL issue is if you give your girlfriend a taste of osx goodness, will she take over YOUR machine?

It's the geek corollary to 'wife drives the new car, it's the law'.
Hahaha, well I almost never let her touch my babeh. There's simply no way.

My mom has almost the exact same thing (although the 1GHz) and it runs really nice for basic web surfing, youtube, mail and Office 2008. It's from 2004/2005 and the only upgrades I've made are 160 GB HDD, 1,25GB RAM and a new battery during that time. For that price, it's a steal! :D
Sweet! That's all she'll be doing on it, so that affirms my purchase =D

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
The only reason they could say no is because of how the PPC Macs are pretty much obsolete as of September. Since Leopard is the last OS that will ever go on it. (Mac-wise)

But if this is just for the kiddies, then go for it. Leopard is good enough and will be fine for years.

Not true. Apple will give updates to Leopard until most of the Mac users are on Intel.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Voted YES too. That's a good deal and once you upgrade it will be fine for years to come(as long as it doesn't crap out on you :p)

I just got a 1gb from newegg for $35 after mail-in rebate. Check there as they also have a 250/320gb HDD for $89-$99 if your girlfriend will need more space for music etc.

4 people said no... I wonder why? Guess some people just need 2+ cores to check their email and surf the web :rolleyes:

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Voted YES too. That's a good deal and once you upgrade it will be fine for years to come(as long as it doesn't crap out on you :p)

I just got a 1gb from newegg for $35 after mail-in rebate. Check there as they also have a 250/320gb HDD for $89-$99 if your girlfriend will need more space for music etc.

4 people said no... I wonder why? Guess some people just need 2+ cores to check their email and surf the web :rolleyes:

Yeah, I found some PNY RAM for $29.99 after $10.00 MIR and a 160GB Hard Drive for $54.00 - %10 Promo Code. Total, $89.48

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Guess you didn't get the first one. I'd offer around $225 to keep your total upgrades less than $300 so if you go to sell it, you'll get your money back and then a few extra.

If you want to buy an iBook, I'd suggest finding the 1.42ghz 14" model. That is the last top-end model and didn't have the potential logic board problems like the earlier G4s had.

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Guess you didn't get the first one. I'd offer around $225 to keep your total upgrades less than $300 so if you go to sell it, you'll get your money back and then a few extra.

If you want to buy an iBook, I'd suggest finding the 1.42ghz 14" model. That is the last top-end model and didn't have the potential logic board problems like the earlier G4s had.

You're right, the first one passed before I could get my hands on it, but the one I have lined up right now is a later model and $70 more expensive.

Thanks for the 14" suggestion, but I've never liked the fact that the 14" is still only 1024x768. I could probably up-rez it but I've had enough trouble doing that to my Clamshell iBook (swapped screens to increase the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768).

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
For anyone that's wondering,

I got the 1.33GHz iBook G4. Installed the 160GB Hard Drive and 1GB of RAM and it's now a beast.

Leopard is installed and updating now and iPhoto '09 is all the lady friend decided she wanted installed. Screen Spanning Doctor will let her use the now leftover LCD from her desktop windoze machine.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I really appreciate them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.