Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:24 PM   #1
rotarypower101
macrumors regular

Arrow TV Software on a Mac mini?

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has run the TV software on a macmini/other hardware before, and can give any input if it works better having bigger faster hardware to backup the TV interface?

Has anyone from experience been able to discern whether or not the TV hardware has anything to do with lag and slow responsiveness of the interface?
We have 3 TVs so I am very familiar with the TVs shortcomings, I would like to explore the possibility that it is mainly a hardware issue.

Or is it really software and/or networking problems at the heart of the TVs issues?

Is it worth a try to run TV software in this manor, or has it been tested in this way and still found to be wanting?

And while front row is nice, once you have used TV interface enough to appreciate the finites of the refinement, there is no comparison for how much more pleasurable TVs interface is to use than front row....well when it works properly that is.

Anyone have a link to tutorials that were better examples to follow, or tips to make it run smooth and correctly?

Any tips you can pass along now that you have yours up and running and did not know about until later?
rotarypower101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
You can get a freeware app that runs it on a Mac with 10.4.9 or higher, but not on a 10.5 box because of the audio chip.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:47 PM   #3
rotarypower101
macrumors regular

Oh cool! What is the freeware app called? I've googled and come up empty.
rotarypower101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Here.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 03:39 AM   #5
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816

Would be good if they could get it to work under Leopard. I would love that on a mini.

Does it access the iTunes store? That is what FrontRow is missing- you can't get movie rentals from the mini through it.
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 04:43 AM   #6
speakerwizard
macrumors 68000

my understanding was it wouldnt work under leopard because the base of the appletv is still tiger, maybe when a significant appletv update comes.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
chugs
macrumors newbie

Why not run plex, it's a lot more slick than front row, can organize your native files, and you can access hulu/joost/cnn/youtube etc. as well through it for streaming content.
chugs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater