Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Topher15
macrumors 6502a

iMac will not boot up!

A few hours ago my iMac froze. I was able to move the mouse pointer around the screen, but couldn't do anything else.

I restarted the computer only to find that Quicktime and iTunes wouldn't open.

I then ran Software Update and attempted to install various updates, including 10.5.7, however after downloading the update it said the package had been altered since being sign off by Apple and was automatically sent to the trash.

I did install the other updates, including a Quicktime update, however at the restart it remained stuck on the gray startup screen, with the Apple logo and the spinning gear. It remains on this screen for around 5 minutes before shutting down.

I've reset PRAM - still nothing.

Safe boot didn't work.

My next step is to restore from my Time Machine backup--I'm on that screen now--however I want to see what feedback I get first. (Strangely the last backup it lists is June 20 6:43 PM despite backups being done after that point.)

Anyway... I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

Computer specs:
2007 Alu iMac
320GB
4GB
ATI HD video card
FW 800 HD attached
FW 400 HD attached
Apple Wired Keyboard attached
iPod Dock attached
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Looks like you have a lot of "stuff" connected to it - have you tried booting without the external drives and dock connected?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Topher15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Looks like you have a lot of "stuff" connected to it - have you tried booting without the external drives and dock connected?
Yeah tried that.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Topher15
macrumors 6502a

Update... I restored the system from a Time Machine backup and have now successfully installed the updates that I mention above. I do however notice that it stays on the grey start up screen with the spinning gear for longer than it did before this problem started.

Anyway, all seems to be okay.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:15 AM   #5
jzuena
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher15 View Post
Update... I restored the system from a Time Machine backup and have now successfully installed the updates that I mention above. I do however notice that it stays on the grey start up screen with the spinning gear for longer than it did before this problem started.

Anyway, all seems to be okay.
Maybe the boot disk has problems so it takes longer to read it? What is the S.M.A.R.T. status for the drive in disk utility? It may also be worth running Onyx or some other utility to get slightly more detailed information on the drive.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Topher15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzuena View Post
Maybe the boot disk has problems so it takes longer to read it? What is the S.M.A.R.T. status for the drive in disk utility? It may also be worth running Onyx or some other utility to get slightly more detailed information on the drive.
S.M.A.R.T status is "Verified." I've also verified and repaired disk permissions. And verified disk also reported no problems.

I have noticed some freezes since the restore despite only iTunes and some other minor apps running. Firstly iTunes froze mid song (so I did force quit), when I clicked the Get Info button in Finder everything froze but only for about 30 seconds. I do have a feeling that there might be some problem with the HDD but I'll see how it plays out before I take it to the Apple Store to get replaced. (If I do I wonder if they would upgrade it to 500GB... )

Onyx is currently doing its thing now. EDIT... Onyx says the disk needs to be repaired so I'll try that.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:47 PM   #7
POSIXFTW
macrumors newbie

some of your problems seem related to a corrupted user account, did you try installing the updates on another account?

-Douglas Adams
POSIXFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Topher15
macrumors 6502a

Okay still getting this problem. Sometimes I get it to load into the OS, some I don't. Verify/Repair disk states it is a sibling problem. Would this mean it is software related and not a physical problem with the drive? If so, then maybe just erasing the disk will solve it? I'm going to erase the hard drive to see if it fixes it.

I would like to know if I should erase 298.1 GB WDC... which is at the top of the list in Disk Utility, or should I erase iMac HD which is just below it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by POSIXFTW View Post
some of your problems seem related to a corrupted user account, did you try installing the updates on another account?
Are you talking about the package being altered problem?

I only have my admin account and a guest account, which is never used.

Last edited by Topher15; Jun 27, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Topher15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help