Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:10 AM   #1
fatgorilla
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Exclamation MBP becomes exceptionally hot while playing online videos / Skype video

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2007 Model with 4GB RAM, 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running OS X 10.5.7.


I have noticed since the last 6 months, whenever I play an online video from a streaming sites, my notebook becomes horribly hot. I have SMC Fan Control, it gives me temperatures upto 85 deg Celsius and the top panel of the keyboard (above the Fn-key row) becomes impossible to touch for 2 secs. Fan speeds automatically reach upto 5900 RPM.

This happens every single time I turn on my video on Skype as well. Within minutes. Doesn't occur when the person I am chatting with turns his/her video on and keeps it playing.

Could you please advice what I should do ?

Many thanks
fatgorilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
MacModMachine
macrumors 68000
 
MacModMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgorilla View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2007 Model with 4GB RAM, 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running OS X 10.5.7.


I have noticed since the last 6 months, whenever I play an online video from a streaming sites, my notebook becomes horribly hot. I have SMC Fan Control, it gives me temperatures upto 85 deg Celsius and the top panel of the keyboard (above the Fn-key row) becomes impossible to touch for 2 secs. Fan speeds automatically reach upto 5900 RPM.

This happens every single time I turn on my video on Skype as well. Within minutes. Doesn't occur when the person I am chatting with turns his/her video on and keeps it playing.

Could you please advice what I should do ?

Many thanks
could be dirty fans , bad gpu.

just make sure you keep your data backed up.
__________________
MBPr - 13" 2.5/8GB/128GB (Swapped for 480 OWC Aura)
MacModMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:09 AM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
It's probably the well-documented deficiency of Flash (video) in OS X...
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.
miles01110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:13 AM   #4
fatgorilla
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
It's probably the well-documented deficiency of Flash (video) in OS X...
Umm.. I'm running the latest Flash package (I think 10 ?). Just downloaded it a few days back.

Btw, does Skype require Flash to play video ?

I also have a Speck SeeThru polycarbonate cover on my Laptop and it is raised to about 25 degrees from the horizon, but I don't think that is causing the trouble (since I have had it since 2007 and never over heated my notebook).
fatgorilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:25 AM   #5
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgorilla View Post
Umm.. I'm running the latest Flash package (I think 10 ?). Just downloaded it a few days back.
It doesn't really matter what Flash package you are using in my experience. They just don't play well together.
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.
miles01110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fan too loud on skype video call Meric MacBook Air 17 May 9, 2011 03:07 PM
Macbook 13" i5 really hot while playing simple games Pannytjuh MacBook Pro 20 Mar 21, 2011 01:21 PM
MBP goes to sleep while playing games bpetruzzo MacBook Pro 4 Jan 13, 2011 04:25 PM
You can talk while Playing online apps!! ThanatosId iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Aug 1, 2009 04:38 PM
Macbook Gets Hot while playing games in vista twombles62 Mac and PC Games 2 Feb 19, 2008 07:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC