Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatgorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2007 Model with 4GB RAM, 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running OS X 10.5.7.

I have noticed since the last 6 months, whenever I play an online video from a streaming sites, my notebook becomes horribly hot. I have SMC Fan Control, it gives me temperatures upto 85 deg Celsius and the top panel of the keyboard (above the Fn-key row) becomes impossible to touch for 2 secs. Fan speeds automatically reach upto 5900 RPM.

This happens every single time I turn on my video on Skype as well. Within minutes. Doesn't occur when the person I am chatting with turns his/her video on and keeps it playing.

Could you please advice what I should do ?

Many thanks

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2007 Model with 4GB RAM, 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running OS X 10.5.7.

I have noticed since the last 6 months, whenever I play an online video from a streaming sites, my notebook becomes horribly hot. I have SMC Fan Control, it gives me temperatures upto 85 deg Celsius and the top panel of the keyboard (above the Fn-key row) becomes impossible to touch for 2 secs. Fan speeds automatically reach upto 5900 RPM.

This happens every single time I turn on my video on Skype as well. Within minutes. Doesn't occur when the person I am chatting with turns his/her video on and keeps it playing.

Could you please advice what I should do ?

Many thanks

could be dirty fans , bad gpu.

just make sure you keep your data backed up.

fatgorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
It's probably the well-documented deficiency of Flash (video) in OS X...

Umm.. I'm running the latest Flash package (I think 10 ?). Just downloaded it a few days back.

Btw, does Skype require Flash to play video ?

I also have a Speck SeeThru polycarbonate cover on my Laptop and it is raised to about 25 degrees from the horizon, but I don't think that is causing the trouble (since I have had it since 2007 and never over heated my notebook).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.