Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:49 AM   #1
tigerinroc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Battery on iphone 3g s drains very fast.

My phone battery drains very fast after a full charge even though I don't use it constantly. I typically surf the net, check email on wifi or 3g for 5 minutes every hour and the battery almost drains after 3-4 hours.

Anyone has the same problem?
tigerinroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Macjames
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Yorkshire, England
What do your settings look like? Some of the biggest battery drainers are Locational Services, Data Roaming and Push. Switch them off an see how long the battery lasts.
Macjames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:58 AM   #3
duky
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerinroc View Post
My phone battery drains very fast after a full charge even though I don't use it constantly. I typically surf the net, check email on wifi or 3g for 5 minutes every hour and the battery almost drains after 3-4 hours.

Anyone has the same problem?
This your first smartphone? If you had the 3G then you would be used to it. I feel like given it's your first weekend with the phone you may be trying things out a bit more than usual. Also, over time the battery on my 3G got noticeably better. At work I would last from 9-5 easily with push enabled, brightness set to half (auto) and bluetooth, location services and 3G all on making a few calls every hour and cheking emails/texting and given the better battery on my 3GS now I'm expecting more. If you think you're not overusing it you could take it to the Genius Bar and see what they say, but 3-5 hrs is certainly not normal
__________________
2.6 rMBP; i7 Mini (xbmc); 64 GB iPad Air; 64GB iPhone 5s; 1080p aTV2; Canon 5DIII

Last edited by duky; Jun 21, 2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
duky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Que
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
check your usage v standby times.

i left a few web pages open in safari and even though safari was closed the battery went very quickly and the usage and standby time was identical.

i now close all safari pages before i close safari and the battery is amazing. a full day's use yesterday, using video camera, camera, web over 3g, web over wi-fi.....the lot - still over 50% battery left today.

Last edited by Que; Jun 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
Que is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:02 AM   #5
scotland007
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
[QUOTE=tigerinroc;7902337]My phone battery drains very fast after a full charge even though I don't use it constantly. I typically surf the net, check email on wifi or 3g for 5 minutes every hour and the battery almost drains after 3-4 hours



Anyone has the same problem?[/QUOTE

yesteday I had 3G on for about 5 hrs, checked emails, surfed around and got the 20% charge left around hour 6.
scotland007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:16 AM   #6
zacheryjensen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerinroc View Post
My phone battery drains very fast after a full charge even though I don't use it constantly. I typically surf the net, check email on wifi or 3g for 5 minutes every hour and the battery almost drains after 3-4 hours.

Anyone has the same problem?
There are several facts about lithium ion batteries that many people are unaware of. One which would potentially affect what you're experiencing is this. The discharge cycle of a lithium ion battery is continuous, meaning, it will slowly lose charge even when it's not in use. However, after a few complete usage cycles this idle discharge is significantly reduced.

What this means to you is this. Please use up your whole battery down to about 10%, then, allow the device to charge to 100% all at once, do not unplug it during this time. Repeat this process several times preferably with discharges happening during normal usage. This should noticeably extend the performance of your battery.

Other concerns include high temperatures, and failure to regularly discharge all cells. With high temperatures the contents of the battery degrade and are permanently destroyed. Please pay attention to the listed operating temperatures for your device, these temperatures most likely reflect the optimal temperature ranges for the battery over any other temperature sensitive component of the device.

As for not discharging the battery completely regularly, this will result in portions of the physical cell to become incapable of complete discharge, essentially crystalizing their state. It's important to make a complete discharge occasionally. I'm not sure of the recommended frequency for an iPhone 3GS, however, with laptop batteries it is once per week.

Personally I let my phone drain down every couple of weeks with some hearty adventure gaming or watching a movie or similar. My iPhone 3G battery has withstood repeated long sessions of intense usage and still has good battery performance even nearly a year later. I'm sure you will see your battery life improve over time.
zacheryjensen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:12 AM   #7
TroyBoy30
macrumors 65816
 
TroyBoy30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta GA
Actually the battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.
TroyBoy30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:36 AM   #8
MadDog31
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
I can attest that my 3G battery performance did get better after a few partial discharges (some more than others since it was an upgraded toy at the time from my 2G...haha).

I woke up w/ my 3GS using 3% overnight and topped off the charge when I turned my MBP on. My 3G did this at first also if I recall correctly, but after a while if I went to bed w/ the "plug" icon in the battery, it also showed up in the morning.
__________________
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
iPhone 5 AT&T 64 GB Black
iPad AT&T 4G 64 GB Black
MadDog31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:57 AM   #9
citron230
macrumors 6502a
 
citron230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
I disagree. I used my 3G S all day yesterday. Heavy texting, several phone calls (no call over 10 minutes of talk time), GPS, check eBay app several time for updates on items I'm selling, also checked Movies app for movie times, Family Guy app for some clips. I removed the phone off the dock on my night stand at 7am and it was not returned until nearly 1 am when I got home from the movies. It did not reach the red at all. My 3G would have been on it's last leg when it comes to battery life after usage like the 3G S went through yesterday. I am quite impressed.
__________________
iMac 21.5", 2.5GHz i5 Quad-Core, 16GB RAM MacBook Air 13", 256GB SSD, 1.8GHz i7 Dual Core, 4GB RAM iPad 2 White 32GB WiFi iPhone 4S White 64GB
citron230 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:02 AM   #10
DVDxR
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
zacheryjensen,

Lithium batteries are similar to car batteries in that they have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles. Each full cycle will shorten the life of the next. Over time these cycles degrade the battery until it's no longer useful.

It's not a good idea to fully discharge Li batteries if you can avoid it. They do not suffer from the memory issues that NiCd/NiMH have. The "let it drain all the way down" advice for those batteries does not apply to lithium batteries.
DVDxR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:04 AM   #11
BullittMustang
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
check your usage v standby times.

i left a few web pages open in safari and even though safari was closed the battery went very quickly and the usage and standby time was identical.

i now close all safari pages before i close safari and the battery is amazing. a full day's use yesterday, using video camera, camera, web over 3g, web over wi-fi.....the lot - still over 50% batter left today.

Thanks for the tip. I always leave a web page open but close safari. I never had a problem doing this with my 2G. I was looking at the usage on my 3GS and was wondering why my standby and usage were the same. I closed the web page and now my standby is going up. I hope this helps the battery life.
BullittMustang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:08 AM   #12
dagomike
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Having the battery life quantitative by percentage, I suspect some people will be more alarmed the discharge rates than normal.
dagomike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Que
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullittMustang View Post
Thanks for the tip. I always leave a web page open but close safari. I never had a problem doing this with my 2G. I was looking at the usage on my 3GS and was wondering why my standby and usage were the same. I closed the web page and now my standby is going up. I hope this helps the battery life.
no worries.

maybe this is a 3.0 issue? i can't see why it would only affect the 3g s.

any 3g users notice this problem since the 3.0 upgrade?
Que is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:12 AM   #14
srl7741
macrumors Demi-God
 
srl7741's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In my world
Better Battery

My old 3G would be taken off the charger @6:30 am and hit the 20% red zone with a message by 10:00 PM.

My new 3GS was taken off the charger @6:30 am and was at 51% still at 10:00 pm.

I would say that is an improvement.
srl7741 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:13 AM   #15
BulkHedd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Coming from the Edge iPhone my new 3GS does seem to drain faster than I'm used to. I only got it Friday so I'll give it a few more charges and see how it looks then.
BulkHedd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:13 AM   #16
Que
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagomike View Post
Having the battery life quantitative by percentage, I suspect some people will be more alarmed the discharge rates than normal.
i would suggest that maybe the opposite is true.

i feel a lot better knowing what percentage of battery is remaining than using a picture with only a few stages to signify battery life.

how many sections of the battery are there? between 6-8 ish? vs the 100 stages of the percentage life. i'm a lot more comfortable seeing "12%" than the last bar of the battery alone.
Que is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:15 AM   #17
Que
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
My old 3G would be taken off the charger @6:30 am and hit the 20% red zone with a message by 10:00 PM.

My new 3GS was taken off the charger @6:30 am and was at 51% still at 10:00 pm.

I would say that is an improvement.
definitely.

after an initial hiccup with the web pages thing i'm over the moon with how well my battery lasted yesterday.
Que is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:38 AM   #18
synagence
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I'm finding the 3GS battery to be quite impressive even tho its only 48 hours old...

Full charge yesterday, usage at 2hrs 31 and standby of 18hrs 33m and its at 61%
Usage has been mainly web, texting, twitter apps, facebook app, and a bit of music.

Asleep the iPhone seems to discharge about 1% / hour

I have push, location services, wifi and 3g permanently on
__________________
Early 2009 iMac 2.93Ghz, 4Gb, ATI 4850HD | 64Gb iPad2 | 32Gb Black iPhone 4S⃣ | iPod touch 4G 64Gb
synagence is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:57 AM   #19
Gondry
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
i've also gone from a 2g to 3gs and thought the battery was draining very fast, yesterday I spent a couple of hours driving around with the Maps open watching my progress as the blue blob spun around, it was brilliant but halved the battery charge.

I charged it again and now looking at usage, I've got 35% battery left, usage 4 hours 50 minutes and standby 16 hours 52 minutes since last full charge. Is this about right?

I'd have expected at least half the battery left on my old phone given what i've been doing. I've now turned off 3G, I can't figure where the location service switch is though.
Gondry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:02 PM   #20
Coraline
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondry View Post
i've also gone from a 2g to 3gs and thought the battery was draining very fast, yesterday I spent a couple of hours driving around with the Maps open watching my progress as the blue blob spun around, it was brilliant but halved the battery charge.

I charged it again and now looking at usage, I've got 35% battery left, usage 4 hours 50 minutes and standby 16 hours 52 minutes since last full charge. Is this about right?

I'd have expected at least half the battery left on my old phone given what i've been doing. I've now turned off 3G, I can't figure where the location service switch is though.
The location services switch is under Settings - General.
Coraline is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:13 PM   #21
rushmere
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Auckland
I've gone from a 3G to a 3GS.

My perception is that the battery is discharging much faster on the 3GS, especially overnight, although I haven't paid close enough attention to check whether this is really true.

However, I've got the % battery indicator switched on which I obviously didn't have with the 3G. I've just realised today that the % indicator looks worse than the battery icon, e.g. the indicator currently looks almost totally green, but the % indicator says that it's only 80% charged. I'm beginning to wonder if this % indicator is just making me think it's worse.

I'm going to watch it more closely over the next few days, and pay attention to how long it is actually lasting!
rushmere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:31 PM   #22
Gondry
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraline View Post
The location services switch is under Settings - General.
thanks! it was quite obvious stupid me
Gondry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:31 PM   #23
hard-case
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerinroc View Post
My phone battery drains very fast after a full charge even though I don't use it constantly. I typically surf the net, check email on wifi or 3g for 5 minutes every hour and the battery almost drains after 3-4 hours.

Anyone has the same problem?
Not really.

Right now I've got 3G on, Bluetooth off, Roaming off, WiFi off, Location Services on, Push on, Brightness at about 25%, and my stats are:
Usage: 3h 9m
Standby: 1 Day, 22 Hours
Battery: 39%

The usage was either phone calls, apps, or web surfing via 3G. Haven't listened to any music this charge. That's actually a bit of improvement over my 3G.
__________________
17" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.93GHz iPhone 3GS 32GB 3rd Gen iPod nano 16GB 2nd Gen nano 8GB 16GB iPad Wifi
hard-case is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:33 PM   #24
tanster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
There are several facts about lithium ion batteries that many people are unaware of. One which would potentially affect what you're experiencing is this. The discharge cycle of a lithium ion battery is continuous, meaning, it will slowly lose charge even when it's not in use. However, after a few complete usage cycles this idle discharge is significantly reduced.

What this means to you is this. Please use up your whole battery down to about 10%, then, allow the device to charge to 100% all at once, do not unplug it during this time. Repeat this process several times preferably with discharges happening during normal usage. This should noticeably extend the performance of your battery.

Other concerns include high temperatures, and failure to regularly discharge all cells. With high temperatures the contents of the battery degrade and are permanently destroyed. Please pay attention to the listed operating temperatures for your device, these temperatures most likely reflect the optimal temperature ranges for the battery over any other temperature sensitive component of the device.

As for not discharging the battery completely regularly, this will result in portions of the physical cell to become incapable of complete discharge, essentially crystalizing their state. It's important to make a complete discharge occasionally. I'm not sure of the recommended frequency for an iPhone 3GS, however, with laptop batteries it is once per week.

Personally I let my phone drain down every couple of weeks with some hearty adventure gaming or watching a movie or similar. My iPhone 3G battery has withstood repeated long sessions of intense usage and still has good battery performance even nearly a year later. I'm sure you will see your battery life improve over time.
Thanks, zacheryjensen!

I also found Apple's tips on extending battery life here.

It says: "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."
__________________
tanster
Palm Pilot | Palm III | Palm V | IPAQ 3835 | Samsung SPH-i500 | Treo 650 | iPhone | iPhone 3GS | iPhone 4 | iPhone 4S | iPhone 5 | iPhone 5S
tanster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:05 PM   #25
ubercool
macrumors 6502a
 
ubercool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco
Send a message via Skype™ to ubercool
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-case View Post
Not really.

Right now I've got 3G on, Bluetooth off, Roaming off, WiFi off, Location Services on, Push on, Brightness at about 25%, and my stats are:
Usage: 3h 9m
Standby: 1 Day, 22 Hours
Battery: 39%

The usage was either phone calls, apps, or web surfing via 3G. Haven't listened to any music this charge. That's actually a bit of improvement over my 3G.
I was about to say "NO F..KING WAY" and then I saw that your brightness was at 25%. At that level, the iPhone is only usable in a cave!
ubercool is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 3G Battery Replacement by Apple? nad8e iPhone 15 Mar 22, 2014 01:20 PM
Transferring info on old iPhone 3G sim card to new iPhone 4s zachleon11 iPhone 5 Oct 14, 2011 04:36 PM
Iphone 3G won't turn on - Hardware failure? nad8e iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Feb 2, 2011 12:56 PM
Iphone 3G battery dies right after being unplugged ConverseNikki iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Nov 22, 2010 12:52 PM
Battery on iPhone 3G acting screwy? dcshutter019 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Aug 2, 2008 08:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC