Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I've been a fan of flip-cover cases since I bought my first Vaja case almost eight years ago. To me, they offer a good balance between looks and protection - the case kept my PDA in great shape despite many drops on hard surfaces, so I bought another one (an ivolution Top Holster) for my iPhone 2G. For some reason, though, it didn't wear as well as the first one, and it wasn't cheap at $90. For my 3G S, I decided to look for something less expensive.

After eliminating a few, I came across the SGP illuzion. At $36, it's considerably cheaper than the Vaja, despite looking almost identical. I ordered one last Monday and had it in my hands two days later. I've been using it since getting my iPhone on Friday, and I've been very pleased so far. Positives and negatives:

• Workmanship: Excellent. It's very well made. The soft inner lining is glued on perfectly.
  • Fit: Very good. The case fits like a glove - there's no way the iPhone will slip out.
  • Protection: Excellent. When the case is shut, no parts of the iPhone protrude beyond the edge of the case, so they should be protected during most falls.
  • Ease of use: Very good. Like other flip cases, you have to lift the flap that covers the screen to use the iPhone. I haven't found that hard to do with my Vaja cases, and I don't expect that'll change with this one. The cover is held in place by a curved "hook" that grabs the top of the iPhone - it's easy to release without being too loose or too tight.
  • Appearance: Excellent. I chose a dark brown case with a textured finish that looks like it'll wear well, though only time will tell. (The pics on SGP's site are very good, so I didn't upload any here.)
  • What's missing: SGP doesn't offer this case with a belt clip. I wanted one originally, but decided to try this case anyway. So far, I don't miss it - it's been just as easy to carry the iPhone in my shirt or pants pocket as on my belt. It's also much easier to get at the phone when I'm in my car.

So that's it. I realize that there are a lot of choices out there, and I hope this helps someone.

smarter

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
The Netherlands
After reading your review I did some research on Youtube.

At first I was planning on buying the Vaja Black 'n Red Limited Edition for around $ 110 incl. shipping to The Netherlands.

The SGP Illuzion flip cover case looks very similar and adds protection to the top of the iPhone which the Vaja doesn't. And the best of all: It's a lot cheaper.

I ordered mine in Ergo Black leather which has a similar structure as the vaja Black 'n Red.

SGP ($35 + $10 shipping):
iphone3g_illuzion_ergo_black_photo_contents.jpg

Vaja Black 'n Red ($80 + $27 shipping):

picture-1.jpg

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
i have this exact case and no longer use it. if anyone wants it at a 50% retail discount shoot me a PM.

Spaceman22

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
I have a similar case from SGP, the Cosmo black, and I am very pleased with it. It offers great protection and is very smart looking. I also have to praise SGP's customer service. The first case I received had a very slight flaw in the leather on one of the edges which looked like it would wear quickly with use. They responded immediately to my email, asking for pictures and mailed out a replacement straight away.

A great company to do business with.

I also have their Ultra thin carbon case in black - I can recommend that too!

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Those cases look very nice and elegant, but I don't understand how you guys tolerate that big flap hanging down while you are using the phone. Just seems annoying.

Spaceman22

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
The flap hanging down is not really a problem - it's the ones that stick up that make you look like a dork!

The flap can be folded right back or, although held securely in place, the phone can be lifted out quickly and easily if necessary.

This one gets my vote every time - much classier and better protection than the silicone one I had before that just made the phone look cheap.

vanessa

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
a free iphone3g case

The case is very cool. It seems very elegant. But I found a free case for iphone3G
It is also very cool. It protect my iphone3g perfect. I just paied USD$5.00 as shipping fee

iphone-3G-Cases-P212.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.