Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphong

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Washington, DC
Hi,

I heard some says that when you don't setup the DNS information right the first time before clicking the save button, your are SCREWED, and there is no way of fixing it beside reformatting and reinstall the OS?

I reformatted my server 3 times today just because I mess around with the DNS zones by trying different server names.

I'm confused.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I wouldn't think this is true. BIND holds its config in zone files, which are easy to erase and start over.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Hi,

I heard some says that when you don't setup the DNS information right the first time before clicking the save button, your are SCREWED, and there is no way of fixing it beside reformatting and reinstall the OS?

I reformatted my server 3 times today just because I mess around with the DNS zones by trying different server names.

I'm confused.

Not as far as I know, BUT you DO NOT want to save before the primary zone is set up fully when changing the default zone, THEN you will have a tough time making it work. Scratch that... it will NOT work. Maybe that's what you might have heard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.