Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 24, 2004, 01:37 AM   #1
Demon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Demon
iPod to iTunes!

hi guys,

just did a boo boo with my iPod.
i bought a new computer and wanted to transfer everything to it, including my thousands of songs in iTunes. Since i have an iPod, i thought that with everything there, i can easily resync it on my new computer and so i did not transfer my iTunes library to the new comp. now that i go and try to resync everything... i found out that i couldn't! i should have realized there's no going back, so now i'm stuck with no music in my laptop.

i do know about the software which allows transfer back and forth. but what's the difference between all of them? also, anyone know of a free, reliable one that will do the job?

thanks.
Old May 24, 2004, 02:48 AM   #2
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
the four that i know of, ipod access, pod util, xpod and ipodrip are all shareware for between $10-15. its good that apple leaves out certain capabilities sometimes to allow third parties to create good software.

i tried xpod and ipodrip and had a blast on the ipodrip demo. you can do everything with the demo for 15 tries i think, so try it out. you can always get the free tinkertool to show your hidden files and drag them into iTunes to add them to your library. plus, you'll wind up using tinkertool for a bunch of other things too. as for the iTMS purchased music, i don't know how that'll work out.
Old May 24, 2004, 03:32 AM   #3
BrianKonarsMac
macrumors 65816

its good apple leaves out functionality? are you $!@#*? apple doesn't allow you to access the songs on an iPod because of music piracy. if you don't believe me, ask a genius for a decent answer, the best they could do was look at me and agree it was stupid. also, why would you pay $10-15 for software you can get for free, or just do yourself with minimal knowledge of the Terminal? I forgot what I used two years ago when I had the same thing happen, but it was free and it worked fine. I still can't believe Apple is that shallow, I mean it's not like I can't just store the music as data files and THEN move it over to my computer hassle free. purchased music will work fine if your computer is authetnicated to use it. if not, i don't know what to tell you, other than use HYMN on any music you purchase in the future (removes protective layer).
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old May 24, 2004, 03:54 AM   #4
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
i guess i am a little $!@#*. the ipodrip is pretty good if you want to use your ipod on several computers. you can manually move a few or a bunch of tracks to your library, it'll give you a layout of the playlists on your ipod as well as allow you to move just a playlist, and it'll also function as a jukebox to play the files off of your ipod without moving them. thats not too shabby for $10.
Old May 24, 2004, 07:53 AM   #5
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
Yes, those programs will do nicely. The hack is needed because otherwise the iPod would be a very easy device for music piracy out of the box, or it's seen that way at least.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old May 24, 2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Demon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Demon
thanks guys,

i'll give all those a try.
i used a few of them before, but i'll see if the freebies work out.
yeah, apple does have it's perks, but i also feel that there are many things they can do better in.
like lowering the price! why do they have such a high premium... not like they actually make their products in the USA...
it's all made in China or Taiwan, come on apple!

sorry... just had to release that. heh... because i can't afford an apple external screen!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers