Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReleasedAce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
i just jailbroke my 3g with redsnow im running 3.0 and cydia says i need to do essential upgrades but when i try i keep getting an error

ReleasedAce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
it says " couldnt configure pre-depend dpkg for ncurses, probably a dependency cycle

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Im getting the same issue.

I thought it may be something to do with icy being installed so im currently restoring the phone to jb again without icy to see if that helps.

Will let you know if it does.

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
jailbroke last night using ReDsn0w, and the same is happening to me, cydia needs to update itself b4 anything will download correctly, there are 2 essential updates that keep failing. And i also clicked to install ICY and that doesnt seem to be working either. I'll for instance install five icon dock and respring my phone, then all the icons will be squished to the left side of the dock.

Bad JB? if so im going to download another copy of redsn0w from a different source and give that a shot.

Quick Pwn is still saying its going to be released for 3.0 from the dev team so may be worth waiting till then.

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
well i restored and re-jailbroke without icy installed and cydia so far seems to be working fine.

It could be that as said earlier that cydia needs to be opened first before icy so it can install updates etc.

Andy

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
well i restored and re-jailbroke without icy installed and cydia so far seems to be working fine.

It could be that as said earlier that cydia needs to be opened first before icy so it can install updates etc.

Andy

Can confirm that the above is true, re-jailbroke with redsn0w just now but only had cydia installed instead of cydia & ICY and all updates downloaded correctly and cydia is working fine :)

prosynk

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009

Andy

This method also worked for me. I was getting the repeated ncurses dependency errors as well, but re-jailbreaking without Icy fixed the Cydia update with no issue.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
Yeah, I jailbroke last night and was hoping i'd be able to mess around with my phone today at work. Looks like i'll have to hold off until i can rejailbreak. Maybe one of my coworkers has a data chord i can borrow.

ReleasedAce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
I will try when I get home and see if rejailbreaking works. So do I just restore and backup my stuff and then rejailbreak it?

prosynk

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
I will try when I get home and see if rejailbreaking works. So do I just restore and backup my stuff and then rejailbreak it?

I didn't even restore. I just used the modified .ipsw from the initial redsn0w jailbreak and ran redsn0w again. (This was only because I'm using a computer that is not my normal sync device)

psyntium

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
possible solution: install ncureses via Icy

hi,

i think u can try to install ncurses using Icy first, then try to update Cydia again. I'm trying this, but Cydia hanged after updating. So, need to force shut down, and now I'm restarting. I'll let you know if got good news. ^_^

FCzenit

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Westbury, NY
Installed without Icy and everything worked like always. Ran Icy before cydia the first time around so thats probably what caused the problem.:D

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Glad my solution helped you guys.

hi,

i think u can try to install ncurses using Icy first, then try to update Cydia again. I'm trying this, but Cydia hanged after updating. So, need to force shut down, and now I'm restarting. I'll let you know if got good news. ^_^

I take it this way didnt work? :rolleyes:

glacies

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2008
Thanks for this tip

re-jailbreaking with redsn0w works like a charm

no need to restore the FW again

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Can confirm that the above is true, re-jailbroke with redsn0w just now but only had cydia installed instead of cydia & ICY and all updates downloaded correctly and cydia is working fine :)

Thanks for the update. I had the same problem. Will give it a shot tonight. :D

sabotage79

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
Rerun redsn0w without icy, and this solved my cydia issue. I didn't restore to 3.0, I just reran redsn0w. Give it a show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.