Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Okay, so I'm just trying to get a handle on this question. I have a Logitech Bluetooth headset that I've used with my cell phone for a couple of years, and I was intrigued by the idea that I could pair it with my iPod Touch. I thought that I might even be able to use the mic with the new Voice Memo app. But, when I put my headset into discoverable mode and set my iPod to searching, nothing appears.

So, this leads to my question. What will and won't work? And, if anyone cares to shed some light, why?

Thanks!

CntrySigns

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Stereo bluetooth only

I'm having the same problem. And what I see it comes down to is that the ipod touch only supports stereo bluetooth. Most of the older headsets for phones are only mono. Newer single ear headsets are now coming with stereo I'm just not willing to buy them yet .:)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
At this point in time there is no support for using the microphone on stereo headsets. I've gotten my second gen to work with my Insignia headset, Sony BT50, JBLs, an unnamed headset Target used to sell, and my Philips Bluetooth speaker dock.

CntrySigns

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Stereo bluetooth only

I'm having the same problem. And what I see it comes down to is that the ipod touch only supports stereo bluetooth. Most of the older headsets for phones are only mono. Newer single ear headsets are now coming with stereo I'm just not willing to buy them yet .:)

slashcrashcup

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
My Philips VOX 340 Stereo Headphones (which are A2DP compliant) will not work. They show up and pair, but will not change on the ipod bluetooth setup from "NOT CONNECTED". The circle just keeps spinning and spinning but it never works. This sucks. $10 bucks down the drain. Interesting thing is that the philips acts like it is is paired and ready to go. I wish it would work. I have 2 pairs of these headphones for bike riding and now nothing.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I bought a Plantronics Voyager 855 for less than $40. It's a regular BT phone piece but has an optional plug for a second traditional in-ear piece. Works great with iPhone so I assume it would for the Touch as well.

plantronic_855.jpg

RumorHasIt....

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Buy.com<$30.00

I bought a Plantronics Voyager 855 for less than $40. It's a regular BT phone piece but has an optional plug for a second traditional in-ear piece. Works great with iPhone so I assume it would for the Touch as well.

plantronic_855.jpg

Buy.com has this for $29.99 with free shipping. I have no idea how well it works.

CntrySigns

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Again the plantronics headset mentioned supports Bluetooth® A2DP. That is the only headsets that will work with the ipod touch.

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
The Sony DR-BT22 work fine. The volume controls work also, I just wish that the reverse, forward, and pause worked.

dan rink

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Voyager Pro+ bluetooth to Voice Memo ?

Does anyone know if this can be done? From my own efforts and from talking with Apple store employees, it seems no one knows how to do this or even if it can be done. It would be ideal so I could use the iPhone 3GS (OS4 upgrade) as a digital recorder in my pocket while I walk about dictating a book. I could then plug directly into MacSpeech Scribe for transcription. I can't find a bluetooth dongle for the iPhone that would do this either. Help much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.