Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
m6426
macrumors newbie

Powerbook replacement keys (and AppleCare question)

I'm new here and I think I'm posting in the right section. My Powerbook that I've had since 2005 is still in pretty good condition, but recently it hasn't been able to hold a charge. Thought it was the charger, brought it to Apple and it turns out that the dc-in needs fixing. I'm assuming that this would be difficult to fix by myself so I'll be sending that off to Apple. I'm out of warranty and, if I'm reading the estimate correctly, the Dc-in part itself is 12.5 and "Hardware Repair-Level 2" is $135. I haven't had Apple fix anything before so what is Hardware Repair Level 2?

The only other thing that I need to get fixed is about 3 keys on my Powerbook. Apple said they can replace all of the keys for $65, which is too much since I only need 3 keys; the rest of the keys are still good. I've looked on websites (ifixit, powerbookmedic) and they all say that their keys are not compatible with 1.33GHz 12'' Powerbooks, which is the one I've got. I'm hesitant to go on ebay. Anyone know where else I can search for this?
m6426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Shake 'n' Bake
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6426 View Post
I'm new here and I think I'm posting in the right section. My Powerbook that I've had since 2005 is still in pretty good condition, but recently it hasn't been able to hold a charge. Thought it was the charger, brought it to Apple and it turns out that the dc-in needs fixing. I'm assuming that this would be difficult to fix by myself so I'll be sending that off to Apple. I'm out of warranty and, if I'm reading the estimate correctly, the Dc-in part itself is 12.5 and "Hardware Repair-Level 2" is $135. I haven't had Apple fix anything before so what is Hardware Repair Level 2?

The only other thing that I need to get fixed is about 3 keys on my Powerbook. Apple said they can replace all of the keys for $65, which is too much since I only need 3 keys; the rest of the keys are still good. I've looked on websites (ifixit, powerbookmedic) and they all say that their keys are not compatible with 1.33GHz 12'' Powerbooks, which is the one I've got. I'm hesitant to go on ebay. Anyone know where else I can search for this?
I'm 99.9999% certain the charge problem is battery. Get a new one.

And for the $65, you get a whole new keyboard, but eBay would be a lot cheaper.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
m6426
macrumors newbie

I don't think the issue is the battery. I had gotten a new one just a year ago. It's not the same problem I had experienced when my battery wouldn't work. It can still charge fully but the light on the power adapter keeps turning off. I have to twist and turn and tape down for it to steady charge. I thought it was the adapter but the Apple guys plugged it to their computers and the adapter worked. They're saying it's the port on the Powerbook itself. Not sure how complicated the process would be to fixing it myself so I'm contemplating sending it off to Apple to fix.

Don't laugh at my inexperience with this but are there like "fake" keys on ebay? I just don't want to order some and find out that they're useless.
m6426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Shake 'n' Bake
macrumors 68020

If you can touch it, it isn't "fake." Seriously though, you won't get useless keys. And I think the keys from any 12'' PB will work, but it is always best to get the kind that came with the computer. If you don't get your keys, (you need a full keyboard, not just the caps) you can use Pay Pal buyer protection.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs