Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cameras, a new application for Mac OS X from Flexibits, allows users with multiple cameras to customize OS X's automatic application launches on a camera-by-camera (and even iPhone) basis.
Do you have multiple cameras?
Do you spend time quitting iPhoto every time you connect your iPhone?
Wish you could have your DSLR open Aperture and have iPhoto launch when you connect your point-and-shoot camera?
If so, Cameras is the solution you've been waiting for.

With familiar System Preference functionality, Cameras allows you to manage what happens when you connect your:

- Digital camera
- iPhone
- Digital media reader
- Any photo device
The application also provides the ability to specify whether or not images are automatically downloaded from a given device when it is connected to the user's computer.

Cameras comes with a free 14-day trial period, and a full license is priced at $9.95.

Article Link: 'Cameras': Customizing OS X Automatic App Launching for Multiple Cameras

Stibble

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Annoying ? Yes - that its not part of this 21st century OS prefs as standard !
Not $10 annoying though.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
They provided a solution to a problem--they're free to charge what they like.

That's one of TWO iPhone synching annoyances I have. The other:

I synch my iPhone with two Macs (mail/contacts/bookmarks/photos on my laptop, and apps/media on my desktop). This works great--I just check different boxes on one machine than on the other. But BOTH machines keep backups. Wasted time and space. I only want backups on the desktop machine.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
ok, maybe its something apple should fix, but i would put it at or near the bottom of the list.

I mean, how the hell hard is it to turn off automatic application launching and just launch the application you want via spotlight when you connect the device. Most of the time, I connect a device and then switch to another "space" to open. if it automatically opened when i connected the device, the app would be incorrectly opening on the previous desktop space.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXNu4aWzqi4

Image Capture in Snow Leopard looks like you can do this exact thing..

Wow, thanks for that link. Image Capture and Preview are hugely improved in Snow Leopard - Can't wait!

I also noticed that when he closed the Image Capture window the application really closed - what I mean is that the application truly closed in the dock without having to Quit. Is there a way to get applications to do this in Leopard or is this a new feature of Snow Leopard?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I also noticed that when he closed the Image Capture window the application really closed - what I mean is that the application truly closed in the dock without having to Quit. Is there a way to get applications to do this in Leopard or is this a new feature of Snow Leopard?

It has to be set specifically in each app through code, not a general setting.

Blax

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
So, what happened to the site now? The message makes it seem like they're removing the price tag, but maybe I'm just too optimistic.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Wow, thanks for that link. Image Capture and Preview are hugely improved in Snow Leopard - Can't wait!

Because it's a single document (or windowed) app that's why it closed. Compare with System Preferences, same thing.

z4n3

Jun 2, 2008
4 Freeee

:)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 112

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I quite like how plugging in my iPhone starts iphoto, the computer doesn't go to sleep and the phone keeps charging.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
...for $9.95, I'll just keep all my "automatically launch" options off. I just use image capture, regardless if it's DSLR or point-and-shoot. Then I manually shove them into the folders I choose.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
...for $9.95, I'll just keep all my "automatically launch" options off. I just use image capture, regardless if it's DSLR or point-and-shoot. Then I manually shove them into the folders I choose.

FYI, Cameras is now free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.