Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:54 PM   #76
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpid View Post
I read the posts and still stand by the fact that only a handful of people have the issue and that they are blaming Apple for a problem that is affecting so very few. I state there are other causes to blame.

I guess however if I am not welcome in this thread I will move along.
And you continue to ignore the facts. You should move on as it's obvious you refuse to research the issue and ignore everything in front of you. It's on Apples Support forums a huge topic about this. Also here, also on Mac Forums. The problem is a Apple problem as it started to happen after the Firmware release. Get over it.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:11 PM   #77
harcosparky
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I wonder why Apple WARNED of potential problems with third party hardware with the release of this update?

I m even happier that I bought my 15" MBP pre WWDC.

I have warned my daughter to NOT upgrade the firmware on her post WWDC 13" MBP. Seemed unnecessary to do anyway, and now I know not to do it.

Apple should release a list of Manufacturers and Drive Models they use, that should be good with this firmware update.

This brings back memories of the HCL in Windows NT/2000 !!!
__________________
Awwwwwww!
harcosparky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:57 AM   #78
jcv
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
1.7 update has nothing to do with it... ?

Guys

The good news is that the 1.7 update has nothing to do with the beachballs that all are encountering. I installed WD Scorpio Blue 500GB and wasa working smooth for 2 days, then the beachball of death took over. And I did not install the firmware update (cos I read all your posts!). Now at the 3rd day, my mac is at a halt and really unstable. Even the clock won't show and some letters in my application names would be missing letters. What's up with that.

Since it was severely beachballing, I decided to install the firmware update (in the small window the system was stable - I had to reset Finder and Dock) and after the update the experience was the same. No change. I figured then that the 1.7 update has nothing to do with the issues.

I still can't answer though if having a 3rd party hardware causes the issues, firmware updated or not. Lack of complaints from stock HDD owners might be telling that it was to do with 3rd party HDD - independent of firmware updates.

So for me, it's at square one to investigate what is causing this issue??

Note, I installed a heck of a lot of other standard updates (except the 1.7) BEFORE the issues started. So did the other updates cause it? I can't remember all the updates though, I might try dig up a list.

Bummer huh.
jcv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 05:33 AM   #79
jcv
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcv View Post
Guys

The good news is that the 1.7 update has nothing to do with the beachballs that all are encountering. I installed WD Scorpio Blue 500GB and wasa working smooth for 2 days, then the beachball of death took over. And I did not install the firmware update (cos I read all your posts!). Now at the 3rd day, my mac is at a halt and really unstable. Even the clock won't show and some letters in my application names would be missing letters. What's up with that.

Since it was severely beachballing, I decided to install the firmware update (in the small window the system was stable - I had to reset Finder and Dock) and after the update the experience was the same. No change. I figured then that the 1.7 update has nothing to do with the issues.

I still can't answer though if having a 3rd party hardware causes the issues, firmware updated or not. Lack of complaints from stock HDD owners might be telling that it was to do with 3rd party HDD - independent of firmware updates.

So for me, it's at square one to investigate what is causing this issue??

Note, I installed a heck of a lot of other standard updates (except the 1.7) BEFORE the issues started. So did the other updates cause it? I can't remember all the updates though, I might try dig up a list.

Bummer huh.
hallelujah!

i FIXED my issue!

i installed the firmware 1.7 update btw, so i can absolutely state the firmware has nothing to do with the beachballs. and that's with a 3rd party WD Scorpio Blue 500GB hard drive newly installed.

For me, it had to do with my font file. In particular, I deleted the font "Onyx". Those with issues, do you have this font?

Otherwise try deleting all your user fonts.

I'm going to reinstall all my fonts minus onyx and see what happens...

but right now, system running VERY smooth!

And that's after 4 hours of hunting and a dozen resets and working through a beachballing system 98% of the time!
jcv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:29 AM   #80
soukouss
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
There seem to be TWO different issues affecting users after the update:

1) Random beachballs that "freeze" the computer - this seems to be fixed with resetting the PRAM

2) Inability to do anything or even boot your mac - this seems to be with the WD Caviar Blue hard drives and Seagate (Don't know the brand or model of the Seagate)
I'm in "case 2" with a HITACHI 7k250 ( 3.0GB @7200tr ). It's not recognized no more since the EFI update. Reseting PRAM don't change anything.
Bad work from Apple.
soukouss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:54 AM   #81
fehhkk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver.cl View Post
i can confirm this behavior... i too have been experiencing beachballs all day. it's not like one application locks up -- i start beachballing and then every app i have running beachballs for a good 30-45 seconds or so. this uMBP 15" was blazing fast before the firmware update... now it's fast with a few hiccups every 30 minutes or so.

i'm running a 2.66ghz 4gb mid-2009 uMBP with the stock 320gb hdd.
I have this exact same MBP, and I have no problems after updating the firmware. You should definitely try the PRAM reset procedure. I did reset my PRAM just in case, but don't have this issue, with this exact same drive as yours.
fehhkk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:46 AM   #82
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
The people that are having issues seem to be ones who swapped out their HDDs for aftermarket ones. I guess Apple was not lying in their last statement about not supporting other HDD/SSDs?
Apple has never supported non-OEM hardware. People make way too much of that statement. FWIW I just installed a Corsair P128 SSD after updating the firmware. Fantastic upgrade. The Corsair blows the Apple OEM SSD out of the water, and it's competitive with the OCZ Vertex. It lags behind the Intel, but it's fast enough and I'd rater have the extra storage. I can't wait until 256GB SSDs are affordable.
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:28 AM   #83
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Yours is software related. Ours is hardware firmware related as it does it with no software even installed. We can't get the darn thing to take the OS install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcv View Post
hallelujah!

i FIXED my issue!

i installed the firmware 1.7 update btw, so i can absolutely state the firmware has nothing to do with the beachballs. and that's with a 3rd party WD Scorpio Blue 500GB hard drive newly installed.

For me, it had to do with my font file. In particular, I deleted the font "Onyx". Those with issues, do you have this font?

Otherwise try deleting all your user fonts.

I'm going to reinstall all my fonts minus onyx and see what happens...

but right now, system running VERY smooth!

And that's after 4 hours of hunting and a dozen resets and working through a beachballing system 98% of the time!
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:58 PM   #84
Gwardys
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I spoke with a product specialist today, who sent in a request to the engineering teem to find a way to roll back the firmware. I also mentioned the prevalence of this problem, and he included a note linking to this thread. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....t=120&tstart=0

The more people that call and mention they have a problem, the bigger the chance we have of getting this resolved.
Gwardys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:45 AM   #85
bobnugget
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent, England
I've been having exactly the same issues in a MacBook Aluminium using a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 320 GB drive (beachballing, sometimes doesn't boot). The drive works perfectly in a USB caddy, and the original MacBook drive works perfectly too. More details here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...8&postcount=18
bobnugget is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:10 PM   #86
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Attn: All HD owners.....Hitachi and WD mostly. Seagate might work but not sure.

Well for WD owners, it does seem the drives might have a way to force them to 1.5gbps. This COULD be the issue. We might need to force our drives back down to 1.5gbps to make them work again in our laptops. We have a jumper like all the WD drives do, that we need to insert into the correct spot to activate the 1.5 speeds. People with Hitachi's a person was successful doing this with a jumper on the drive and it worked. It allowed his laptop to behave normally again.

See this as a explanation.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....reated=#jumper

Going to try this tonight if I get time.

Last edited by nizmoz; Jun 29, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:14 PM   #87
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
ANother update. Here is a good PDF from WD explaining the speeds.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....109811&p_olh=0

I am thinking that we got the update, and the update isn't allowing correct speeds with some drives at 3.0gbps. So we need to tell the drive to stop trying to use auto at 3.0gbps and force it back down to 1.5gbps. This might resolve our problems.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:10 PM   #88
lybones
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
500gb 7200 rpm drive is having problems

I'm having intermittent freeze up problems after I upgraded my 250gb hard drive to a 500gb 7200 rpm drive with this 1.7 sata firmware update. A clean dvd install of os x was failing due to hard drive problems (I created a GUID extended journal partition). I believe there's definitely a bug in the new firmware. My new hard drive is a seagate momentus sata which does support 3Gbps speed. Currently, Seagate is the only 2.5" 500gb 7200 16mb buffer sata hard drive on the market so unless Apple is offering another OEM brand with these features in there upgrade configuation, this should work. Any one else have same issues? I have the Mid 2009 15 MBP unibody 2.53 without descrete graphics.
lybones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:26 AM   #89
maxb
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montréal, Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to maxb
I can't install OS X on my Vertex before and after EFI 1.7 update....
maxb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:39 AM   #90
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Holy crap, was this what was causing all of my problems?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=733378


The thing was is that as soon as I bought and turned on my Macbook, I immediately updated ALL of the software that was in the SOFTWARE UPDATE. When I finally could not take it any more I put back in the original hard drive and things seemed absolutely fine for the several days that I had it. On Saturday, I swapped out that previous generation Macbook [35 days old] for the new 13.3" 2.53GHz Macbook Pro. As soon as I turned on this laptop I immediately updated all of the software in SOFTWARE UPDATE.

I still have that Seagate 500gb 5400 hard drive that I want to put in this new Macbook Pro but I would HATE to start having those problems again. One question, why would Apple keep people from using/replacing their own hard drives?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:44 AM   #91
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
Holy crap, was this what was causing all of my problems?
A simple "me too" would have sufficed.

Folks, we get it. The EFI update screwed up your computer. Putting the stock drive back in fixes it. It happens to some but not others. We know the issue. No need to keep piling on with the same long stories.

Post if you have a fix!
__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:25 AM   #92
AllieNeko
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
mcdj, tons of me too posts gets Apple's attention. If they're not reading forums like this, then they're crazy. That's how you measure how well you're doing.

A PRAM reset seems to have stopped the beachballs for me. I'm using a Hitachi 5k500.b 500GB. It's still slower than before the update, but usable now. We'll see, hopefully they're gone for good.
AllieNeko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:27 PM   #93
Donar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
Well for WD owners, it does seem the drives might have a way to force them to 1.5gbps.

This COULD be the issue. We might need to force our drives back down to 1.5gbps to make them work again in our laptops.
...
See this as a explanation.
Link to 3,5 jumper config

Going to try this tonight if I get time.
The 2,5 drives have different jumpers Linky Anybody tried to enable/disable SSC on his drive? Maybe the people whose WD Blue is working fine can also state if they have a jumper attached or not and on what position.
__________________
MacPro4,1 - 3.33 GHz HEX / Radeon HD 7950 3GB / 24GB RAM / Sonnet Tempo SSD / USB 3.0
Donar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:42 PM   #94
SaintsMac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
Attn: All HD owners.....Hitachi and WD mostly. Seagate might work but not sure.

Well for WD owners, it does seem the drives might have a way to force them to 1.5gbps. This COULD be the issue. We might need to force our drives back down to 1.5gbps to make them work again in our laptops. We have a jumper like all the WD drives do, that we need to insert into the correct spot to activate the 1.5 speeds. People with Hitachi's a person was successful doing this with a jumper on the drive and it worked. It allowed his laptop to behave normally again.

See this as a explanation.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....reated=#jumper

Going to try this tonight if I get time.

Did this work? (fingers crossed!)
SaintsMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:52 PM   #95
Scott6666
macrumors 65816
 
Scott6666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline01 View Post
So... In effect what this update did was render all the third party HD's unusable.
Thus vindicating Apple because now people will really be pleased with their factory shipped disks
Good grief.. What terrible engineers they're hiring now days.
Well, Apple doesn't make their own hard drives, they buy them. So either some manufacturers work with the update (i.e., the one Apple uses), OR some Apple installed ones will "break" as well. I have to assume that Apple only tested with the ones Apple purchases.

Does anyone know what make/model Apple sells as their 500GB model. Typically Hitachi or Fujitsu from what I recall on previous models?

At least if we discover whatever Apple uses, they can be safely user installed, assuming you can find them. NewEgg has Hitachis and Fujistus as well as the Seagates and WD.
Scott6666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:56 PM   #96
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
The 2,5 drives have different jumpers Linky Anybody tried to enable/disable SSC on his drive? Maybe the people whose WD Blue is working fine can also state if they have a jumper attached or not and on what position.
I noticed that after I did it. But there are jumpers on ours. Had no time to try it yet.

Might try again tonight.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:57 PM   #97
rockonchen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
My 2008 Unibody MacBook 13" came with the Toshiba HD.
rockonchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:06 PM   #98
AllieNeko
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Nevermind, the beachballs were fixed for a few days after the PRAM reset but they're back in full force today.

Apple, you've pretty much hit a new low for quality.
AllieNeko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:10 PM   #99
mt21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
So after emailing Phil Schiller, I got a call back today from someone in the Executive Customer Relations Dept. He basically told me to take it back to the store to see what they could do.

It seems they are not fully aware of this issue yet (or can't say that they are). So everyone that has this problem really needs to start sending feedback and emails so we can get a response to this issue.

You can leave feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

You can email Phil Schiller at schiller@apple.com
mt21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:13 PM   #100
jlamarp
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
FWIW,

I just spoke with Apple technical support and was told that they are receiving a lot of calls regarding this issue and that another firmware update will be released to correct it.

I wasn't given a specific timeframe for the firmware release, but let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

MacBook Pro (June 2009) Mac OS X (10.5.7) iPhone 3GS
jlamarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Releases EFI Firmware Update 2.0 for 2013 Mac Pro MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 73 Jan 2, 2014 02:22 PM
Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update for rMBP 13" is out! maplingstorie MacBook Pro 10 Nov 7, 2013 06:52 PM
Apple Releases EFI Firmware Update 2.7 for Mid-2013 MacBook Air MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 17 Oct 11, 2013 07:38 AM
Apple Releases EFI Firmware Update 2.6 for MacBook Air MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 21 Jan 30, 2013 12:52 PM
MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.9 chriscl MacBook Pro 0 Sep 19, 2012 06:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC