Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:52 PM   #101
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt21 View Post
You can email Phil Schiller at schiller@apple.com
Do you email the president when there's a pothole on your street? The grandiose sense of entitlement in people today is bewildering.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:07 PM   #102
markie
macrumors 6502a

"Do you email the president when there's a pothole on your street? The grandiose sense of entitlement in people today is bewildering."

No, but when I spend $1200 on a product I expect it to do what it's supposed to do.
markie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:39 PM   #103
t0mat0
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamarp View Post
FWIW,

I just spoke with Apple technical support and was told that they are receiving a lot of calls regarding this issue and that another firmware update will be released to correct it.

I wasn't given a specific timeframe for the firmware release, but let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

MacBook Pro (June 2009) Mac OS X (10.5.7) iPhone 3GS
This in any way related to the BTO 7200rpm drive issues also? Seems like you're potentially screwed if you add your own drive, and potentially screwed if you go with the Apple HD upgrade.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:41 PM   #104
mmccaskill
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to mmccaskill
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post
This in any way related to the BTO 7200rpm drive issues also? Seems like you're potentially screwed if you add your own drive, and potentially screwed if you go with the Apple HD upgrade.
I am wondering same thing. I'll gladly pay for the 7200pm upgrade if it actually works. I haven't bought one because of this pending issue. Furthermore, do new machines ship with the firmware already applied?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:43 PM   #105
mt21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Do you email the president when there's a pothole on your street? The grandiose sense of entitlement in people today is bewildering.
You're right, emailing an Apple executive who has the power to do something about an issue that is affecting many people that just paid $1200 - $2300 for a brand new laptop is equivalent to emailing the president about a pothole...
mt21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:24 PM   #106
t0mat0
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccaskill View Post
I am wondering same thing. I'll gladly pay for the 7200pm upgrade if it actually works. I haven't bought one because of this pending issue. Furthermore, do new machines ship with the firmware already applied?
If someone can tell me where to quickly find it i'll check the replacement MBP I should be getting early tomorrow.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:05 PM   #107
lybones
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt21 View Post
You're right, emailing an Apple executive who has the power to do something about an issue that is affecting many people that just paid $1200 - $2300 for a brand new laptop is equivalent to emailing the president about a pothole...

FIX MY POTHOLES!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:43 PM   #108
chrislaw
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to chrislaw
I'm so glad that I just bought a 13" mbp and am waiting for my 500gb scorpio blue hd where the hell have i been.
Twitter - @ceegeelawrence Instagram - @ceegeelawrence
chrislaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:00 PM   #109
iyacyas
macrumors member

Here is a link

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post
If someone can tell me where to quickly find it i'll check the replacement MBP I should be getting early tomorrow.
Here is a link to the information you are requesting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237
iyacyas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:50 PM   #110
chrislaw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyacyas View Post
Here is a link to the information you are requesting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237
I just picked up my new 13" mbp tonight from the apple store... this is what is has on it. I assume this is the most previous one before the 1.7? So I should be good to install my 500gb scorpio and not install the 1.7 until this is cleared up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	330
Size:	642.1 KB
ID:	180289  
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:01 AM   #111
vitaeergo
macrumors newbie

2nd Intel X25 - No Go

Just received my 2nd Intel X25 (replacement for the first). It, too, is not able to be seen by the MBP. The drive, brand new, works just fine in other machines, but not the MBP with the upgraded firmware. Sigh. Two in a row.
vitaeergo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:50 AM   #112
tragicv
macrumors newbie

hello. new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put their third party hd into a optibay style drive enclosure. Im kinda new at all this computer stuff, but is the sata 1.5gb or 3.0gb limit enforced to only the factory hard drive sata port and not the superdrive sata port? or is it a system wide restriction?
tragicv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:19 AM   #113
iyacyas
macrumors member

You've got dead pixels on you sceen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislaw View Post
I just picked up my new 13" mbp tonight from the apple store... this is what is has on it. I assume this is the most previous one before the 1.7? So I should be good to install my 500gb scorpio and not install the 1.7 until this is cleared up?
I noticed you have a lot of dead pixels on your screen... Oh wait those are stars... LOL
iyacyas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:05 AM   #114
maxb
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to maxb
Exclamation Possible fix

This is exactly what I did but after EFI 1.7 because I was still experiencing issues after the update and it solved all my problem except that I can't use the superdrive anymore.

See my post about it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragicv View Post
hello. new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put their third party hd into a optibay style drive enclosure. Im kinda new at all this computer stuff, but is the sata 1.5gb or 3.0gb limit enforced to only the factory hard drive sata port and not the superdrive sata port? or is it a system wide restriction?
maxb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 01:26 PM   #115
gorn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislaw View Post
Seems that way, my MBP 13" with the update has
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

The other way to check is to go to the Serial-ATA area and look at:
Speed: 3 Gigabit
If it says 3 Gigabit it is post 1.7, if it says 1.5 it is pre-1.7
gorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:21 PM   #116
chrislaw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn View Post
Seems that way, my MBP 13" with the update has
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

The other way to check is to go to the Serial-ATA area and look at:
Speed: 3 Gigabit
If it says 3 Gigabit it is post 1.7, if it says 1.5 it is pre-1.7
Good idea, thanks. I'll check that when I get home.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:06 PM   #117
Gwardys
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxb View Post
This is exactly what I did but after EFI 1.7 because I was still experiencing issues after the update and it solved all my problem except that I can't use the superdrive anymore.

See my post about it here
This seems like a very large workaround to a problem that Apple needs to acknowledge. I think that this problem is bigger than the speed limitation itself, because now third party SSD's are simply not working!

I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and see the progress on rolling back the firmware, or if they are wiling to try and fix it.
Gwardys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:37 PM   #118
jay1118
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwardys View Post
This seems like a very large workaround to a problem that Apple needs to acknowledge. I think that this problem is bigger than the speed limitation itself, because now third party SSD's are simply not working!

I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and see the progress on rolling back the firmware, or if they are wiling to try and fix it.
Let us know what they tell you! I called but i just got a general, "We are looking into it" answer.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:28 AM   #119
maxb
macrumors member

My guess is that the problem has something to do with the SATA cable and is I'm right I don't see any other fix than a recall and I'm not sure if Apple is willing to do that because the problem is only affecting users with 3rd party drives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwardys View Post

Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:38 AM   #120
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
My guess is that the problem has something to do with the SATA cable and is I'm right I don't see any other fix than a recall and I'm not sure if Apple is willing to do that because the problem is only affecting users with 3rd party drives...
It's affecting the stock drives as well. We are getting random beach balls that lock the computer for a minute or so.
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:44 AM   #121
nizmoz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
It's affecting the stock drives as well. We are getting random beach balls that lock the computer for a minute or so.
I am also getting the beach balls suddenly on the oem HD. Just started happening.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:59 AM   #122
maxb
macrumors member

I had the beachballing with my OEM drive but simply resetting the PRAM instantly solved the problems
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:12 AM   #123
nizmoz
Banned

Quote:
I had the beachballing with my OEM drive but simply resetting the PRAM instantly solved the problems
I did that and it stopped as well. Wonder why it started doing that in the first place.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 01:06 PM   #124
gario1
macrumors newbie

FWIW I have been having this awful problem with the 160gb OEM drive in my MBP 13. I will try the PRAM reset and see if it helps..
gario1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 03:36 PM   #125
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
I think you'd email a county commissioner.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro