Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrako

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Went out to my car tonight, iPhone slipped out of my hand and .... Landed Screen first on the concrete. Had a brand new Speck candyshell on it, which of course did nothing for screen protection.

Now...my brand new 3GS has a completely shattered screen :mad: FML... Just venting pretty much.

Now, i am off to buy a new one i guess. Apple doesnt cover this type of thing right? Question...though i think i already know the answer... Since i bought the new 3GS under subsidize pricing ($199) and apple wont cover screens breaking, so i am going to have to buy a 2nd one to replace my new one for the list price or can i get the subsidized price again?

Any idea if i could sell it on ebay or here for... $100?

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Went out to my car tonight, iPhone slipped out of my hand and .... Landed Screen first on the concrete. Had a brand new Speck candyshell on it, which of course did nothing for screen protection.

Now...my brand new 3GS has a completely shattered screen :mad: FML... Just venting pretty much.

Now, i am off to buy a new one i guess. Apple doesnt cover this type of thing right? Question...though i think i already know the answer... Since i bought the new 3GS under subsidize pricing ($199) and apple wont cover screens breaking, so i am going to have to buy a 2nd one to replace my new one for the list price $399 or can i get the subsidized price again?

I believe if you give them that one, Apple will replace it for $199.

carrako

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
when it dropped, i was surprisingly kinda calm, thinking about how good the Speck candyshell is but then i looked down and saw it was screen down...and then got scared :(

carrako

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I believe they just give you a warranty replacement if you take it into the store.

that would be amazing if true... going to go by tomorrow and see what my options are

The damage :(

Attachments

• Photo 50.jpg
    Photo 50.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 479

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area

Now, i am off to buy a new one i guess. Apple doesnt cover this type of thing right? Question...though i think i already know the answer... Since i bought the new 3GS under subsidize pricing ($199) and apple wont cover screens breaking, so i am going to have to buy a 2nd one to replace my new one for the list price $399 or can i get the subsidized price again?

go to any repair shop like mobile kangaroo or something like that and they will replace it for less than 150$ I've done that July 15 2008 after lining up for the 3G for 12hours. Then go to the apple store and make something up so they will exchange for a new one.

carrako

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
:eek:

I'm so sorry.

Yeah, the $199 refurb (which will be new at this point) seems your best (only?) option.

BTW, list price is $599/699, so...

$199 for a replacement phone? Thats fine with me...if that is what apple will give me.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Yeah, I know it's supposed to be for water damage, but I think other people have had success with other types of damage. $199 is way better than $599, so it's worth a try.

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
If you paid for it on your credit card, there might be a warranty program. I know there is with AMEX.

harry20larry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Just take out some phone insurence for it, if they ask to see the phone, ask your friend if you can borrow his to 'prove' that it isn't already broken and remember to your sim in it in case they call it.
Then, a few days later, claim it on accidental damage, they repair it for free or give you a new one. If they only cover lossage just say you lost it, you can then keep or cancel the insurence after you got your new iPhone.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
Oh man... I make sure mine is secure first thing before getting in and out of my car for this very reason.

Yea everytime I'm wearing sports shorts (loose/meshy) I'm hesitant about getting into and out of vehicles.

OP, sorry to hear about that. As said you should be able to get it repaired by Apple for about $200.

TehBest

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
No no dont sell it for $100 are u nuts? whoever gets that is lucky! all theyd have to do is go on the net and buy a replacement screen (when and if they become available) then theyd turn around and sell that for 5-600 bucks.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
i'm in my school's library and when i saw ur photo i shouted 'oh no!'
and everyone looked at me weird.

anyway tough luck on that. i'd be shattered if i dropped my few day old phone and that happened. oops sorry abt the bad pun. didn't mean it!

just go to apple and get the screen fixed. everything else should be ok. better than buying a brand new phone

carrako

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
No no dont sell it for $100 are u nuts? whoever gets that is lucky! all theyd have to do is go on the net and buy a replacement screen (when and if they become available) then theyd turn around and sell that for 5-600 bucks.

ive scratched that idea after finding out that i could get a replacement through apple for $199. I probably will be going that route.

Any idea of wait times for a replacement?

chinarider

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Just take out some phone insurence for it, if they ask to see the phone, ask your friend if you can borrow his to 'prove' that it isn't already broken and remember to your sim in it in case they call it.
Then, a few days later, claim it on accidental damage, they repair it for free or give you a new one. If they only cover lossage just say you lost it, you can then keep or cancel the insurence after you got your new iPhone.

No wonder my insurAnce rates are so high!

Why do so many people here think that they can get away with Theft?

Liars and thieves......And we ALL pay for them in the long run....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.