Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we profiled several turn-by-turn GPS applications that have appeared in the App Store over the past few days. Today sees the addition of a new GPS app for U.S. customers, this time from AT&T. AT&T Navigator [App Store, Free plus $9.99/month subscription] offers full-featured turn-by-turn GPS navigation with traffic data, automatic map updates, and advanced search functions. Features include:

- Voice-guided and 3D onscreen GPS navigation keeps your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road
- Automatic rerouting will get you there even if you miss a turn
- Regular map updates are automatic and included so you never have to purchase updates.
- Real-time traffic updates and one click rerouting saves you time on your daily commute
- Searching for gas by price saves you money at the pump
- Enter an address from your iPhone or from the convenience of your computer before leaving home. Search AT&T Navigator for the closest coffee house, ATM or Wi-Fi hotspot along with ratings from a listing of over 10 million business listings.

AT&T Navigator is unique in that, rather than utilizing in-app purchasing via the iTunes Store, the subscription is automatically added to the user's monthly AT&T wireless bill. The technique sidesteps Apple's policy of taking a 30% cut of sales taken through the in-app purchasing method. While users may appreciate that the monthly charge is included on their AT&T bill, they should also be aware that simply deleting the application does not cancel the monthly subscription. Users will need to contact AT&T directly in order to end their subscription to AT&T Navigator.

Article Link: AT&T Unleashes Turn-by-Turn GPS App

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Monthly subscriptions blow.

I would much rather pay a 1 time $90-$100 fee. Thats what I did for my TomTom, why should this be different...:mad:

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
So how can they support this and not MMS? This would take FAR more bandwidth than MMS. Ohhhh thats right, they wont make any more money on MMS since its already included in text plans.

Once again, AT&T showing its greed. Does it even run landscape mode?!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Monthly subscriptions blow.

I would much rather pay a 1 time $90-$100 fee. Thats what I did for my TomTom, why should this be different...:mad:

The monthly subscription plan is a common model for cell phone provided turn-by-turn GPS applications. That said, Navigon and TomTom will likely continue to use their single payment approach (Navigon has already confirmed this with the release of MobileNavigator Europe).

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So how can they support this and not MMS? This would take FAR more bandwidth than MMS. Ohhhh thats right, they wont make any more money on MMS since its already included in text plans.

Once again, AT&T showing its greed.

damnit, a capitalistic company wants to make money :eek:

I'm glad Apple are a fair company and give their products away instead of trying to make money. I hear Verizon even wishes they didn't make money, stupid ATT...

I think monthly subscription based navigation apps are dumb and would rather pay a one time fee. I wonder if ATT's app would keep maps on the phone or download them in real time over the cell network. I hope not...

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
damnit, a capitalistic company wants to make money :eek:

I'm glad Apple are a fair company and give their products away instead of trying to make money. I hear Verizon even wishes they didn't make money, stupid ATT...

I think monthly subscription based navigation apps are dumb and would rather pay a one time fee. I wonder if ATT's app would keep maps on the phone or download them in real time over the cell network. I hope not...

Your reply makes no sense at all. First you ridicule me for saying they are greedy, then you make your argument by showing their greed. How are they giving their product away exactly? You have to PAY TO USE IT!!!!! Not to mention, you have to pay MORE to use it than other apps that GIVE YOU their maps, and dont stream them. Ya you lost cell coverage.. there goes your navigation!

zapbryann

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
has anyone bought this/given it a try? i start my delivery job today in a newer town i dont know as well, so this would be perfect.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
$120 PER YEAR for this?!?!?!?!

I hope and pray that TomTom will not charge for a subscription service especially considering they will be charging for hardware as well (gotta have the dock!).

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
has anyone bought this/given it a try? i start my delivery job today in a newer town i dont know as well, so this would be perfect.

The description of the product is horrible. Does it work in landscape? Does it download the maps and keep them on your phone or erase them - streaming maps is HORRIBLE.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
$120 PER YEAR for this?!?!?!?!

I hope and pray that TomTom will not charge for a subscription service especially considering they will be charging for hardware as well (gotta have the dock!).

Not having to stream maps is worth the money. I dont get why cell providers want you streaming maps for navigation, then come on the other hand and whine about MMS bandwidth.

Unreal.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Your reply makes no sense at all. First you ridicule me for saying they are greedy, then you make your argument by showing their greed. How are they giving their product away exactly? You have to PAY TO USE IT!!!!!

I was being very sarcastic. Every company wants to make money, so why is ATT greedy for making its customers pay for a navigation app? If it strengthens their bottom line, they will do it. Verizon and Sprint offer the same thing... ~$10 / month navigation applications on their phones.

Friends?

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Do I have to pay $10/mon for all of my iPhones? I hate monthly subscriptions. I want to pay a good amount to allow Turn-by-turn on ALL of my four iPhones on my family plan. First one in the App store, that's quality wins!

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Do I have to pay $10/mon for all of my iPhones? I hate monthly subscriptions. I want to pay a good amount to allow Turn-by-turn on ALL of my four iPhones on my family plan. First one in the App store, that's quality wins!

Pretty sure you will have to yes.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006

Once again, AT&T showing its greed. Does it even run landscape mode?!

MMS = No Revenue
GPS = Revenue $$$

At this price ($9.99/month), I would rather just buy a stand alone GPS. Most of them for a nominal fee offer updated maps and such.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I was being very sarcastic. Every company wants to make money, so why is ATT greedy for making its customers pay for a navigation app? If it strengthens their bottom line, they will do it. Verizon and Sprint offer the same thing... ~$10 / month navigation applications on their phones.

Friends?

I agree. $10/month for turn by turn GPS is standard. Sarcasm doesn't come through well through forums.

If you think it's a bad app or don't want to use it, don't! Nothing is forcing you to buy it. It's the beauty of capitalism, the government doesn't force companies or citizens to do anything. Capitalism weeds out the winners and the losers naturally. Just look at the car companies. ;)

maconspace

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Pay for features are ok if they are worth what you're paying for...

The AT&T navigation looks far better than Verizons navigation (former Blackberry Storm user here - don't even think about switching to a Storm, you'll be sorry). I love my iPhone 3Gs.

I have no problem with paying for the service.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Looks like a fairly decent app, too bad it has monthly fee pricing. I'm not a fan of that. I'll be waiting for Garmin's app (unless it turns out to suck and tomtom is way better).

btcutter

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Should probably allow customers to order the ATT GPS services on $0.99 per 24 hrs. It would go down easier.

If I were AT&T, I would even say that there will not be roaming charges for GPS data services or something like that to attract customers using it internationally. This would attract some people who may only need the services in Canada or Europe for a few day and won't need to buy the entire package.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
First Thought

The first thought I had when I read this was ... "and that explains why we don't have MMS or tethering yet." Wow!

Of course I know this was handled by a different department ... but that really takes the fun out of my complaining doesn't it?!?!?!?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Absolutely no way will I pay $10 per month. I will pay a one time charge and then maybe a periodic charge to get new maps. Hopefully TomTom or Garmin do this as they have done with other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.