Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:32 AM   #1
urbanmojo
macrumors member

Get winmail.dat instead of attachments

Hi:

I tried sending myself attachments from Outlook with the following results:

1. I send an email from my local Outlook 2007 in HTML or Plain Text with attachements and I instead get a "winmail.dat" attachment in the iPhone.
2. I send from my work's web Outlook (I think it is 2003 web outlook), add the attachments and they are fine in iPhone, and I can open them.

I understand this is a common problem, and affects Macs as well, or most email clients other than Outlook. But I also understand it should only be a problem with sending RTP format, which I wasn't doing.

Anyway, what is the best way of dealing with the winmail.dat in the iPhone, since I can't control very easily what the sender's setting will be if they are using Outlook to send.

Thanks,
urbanmojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Ishimaru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmojo View Post
Hi:

1. I send an email from my local Outlook 2007 in HTML or Plain Text with attachements and I instead get a "winmail.dat" attachment in the iPhone.
2. I send from my work's web Outlook (I think it is 2003 web outlook), add the attachments and they are fine in iPhone, and I can open them.

I understand this is a common problem, and affects Macs as well, or most email clients other than Outlook. But I also understand it should only be a problem with sending RTP format, which I wasn't doing.

Anyway, what is the best way of dealing with the winmail.dat in the iPhone, since I can't control very easily what the sender's setting will be if they are using Outlook to send.

Thanks,
You could see if this helps you:

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et121705.htm
Ishimaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:09 AM   #3
JohnC1990
macrumors newbie

Wink There's a New app in the iTunes store which can open winmail.dat files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmojo View Post
Hi:

Thanks,
Hi, I had the same issue with my iMac and then with my iPhone 4.0. And even though there are a few free and paid softwares which can open the infamous "winmail.dat" file on the Mac, there were NO apps which could do the same for the iPhone.
.....Till now!
Luckily for us, an app has just been released on the iTunes store called "Winmail File Viewer", and it can do just that on the latest version of the iPhone 4.0!

It opened all of my winmail.dat files with ease! I hope it works for u too.

Here's the link to it: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/winma...79500151?mt=8#

Cheers.
John.
JohnC1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4
screamercjo
macrumors newbie

For me work it. You could see if this helps you: http://www.ceesoskam.nl/2013/11/22/h...files-in-ipad/
screamercjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting