Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanmojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Hi:

I tried sending myself attachments from Outlook with the following results:

1. I send an email from my local Outlook 2007 in HTML or Plain Text with attachements and I instead get a "winmail.dat" attachment in the iPhone.
2. I send from my work's web Outlook (I think it is 2003 web outlook), add the attachments and they are fine in iPhone, and I can open them.

I understand this is a common problem, and affects Macs as well, or most email clients other than Outlook. But I also understand it should only be a problem with sending RTP format, which I wasn't doing.

Anyway, what is the best way of dealing with the winmail.dat in the iPhone, since I can't control very easily what the sender's setting will be if they are using Outlook to send.

Thanks,

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
Hi:

1. I send an email from my local Outlook 2007 in HTML or Plain Text with attachements and I instead get a "winmail.dat" attachment in the iPhone.
2. I send from my work's web Outlook (I think it is 2003 web outlook), add the attachments and they are fine in iPhone, and I can open them.

I understand this is a common problem, and affects Macs as well, or most email clients other than Outlook. But I also understand it should only be a problem with sending RTP format, which I wasn't doing.

Anyway, what is the best way of dealing with the winmail.dat in the iPhone, since I can't control very easily what the sender's setting will be if they are using Outlook to send.

Thanks,
You could see if this helps you:

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et121705.htm

JohnC1990

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
There's a New app in the iTunes store which can open winmail.dat files!

Hi:

Thanks,

Hi, I had the same issue with my iMac and then with my iPhone 4.0. And even though there are a few free and paid softwares which can open the infamous "winmail.dat" file on the Mac, there were NO apps which could do the same for the iPhone.
.....Till now!
Luckily for us, an app has just been released on the iTunes store called "Winmail File Viewer", and it can do just that on the latest version of the iPhone 4.0!

It opened all of my winmail.dat files with ease! I hope it works for u too. :)

Here's the link to it: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/winmail-file-viewer/id379500151?mt=8#

Cheers.
John.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.