Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old May 25, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1
cr2sh
macrumors 68030

Hewlett Packard Office Jet 6110 AIO

Several weeks ago both Hewlett Packard and Office Depot were running Mail-In Rebate offers for $50 on the Hewlett Packard 6110. I’d been looking for an all-in-one and the 6110 seemed to fit my needs. Retailing around $300, the $100 in rebates cut the cost down quite a bit, so I went ahead and bought it.

Cnet gave this printer a luke warm review, calling it a “reasonable choice” and rating it below the cheaper (and uglier) Dell A940. I can tell you right now, it doesn’t matter how well Cnet rates a Dell.. I’m not buying one for my desktop. So righty-o, back to my review…

Installation:
A little more than I expected in OS 10.3, I had to install the HP software to get Photoshop to access the scanner… it took about a half hour and it was even a bit frustrating. (I was saying things like: “this is a Mac damnit, why doesn’t it just work!?”)

Post installation:
For some reason the OSX printer utility shows two 6110’s at all times. My guess being the driver the OS assigned and the driver I installed from HP... but it doesn’t really affect me that much. I just choose either and they both work fine.

Problems:
Sometimes when I print a large image, the printer just kinda bails at the end. It’ll stop, for no apparent reason.. I hit cancel and it ejects the paper. I don’t know why it happens, but it does…

Positives:
Great scanning, photo paper printing, and duplication of images is quite easy…
The printer has two ink cartridges, a black and a rgb, if you intend on doing photo printing though you can replace the black with a photo cartridge and it does quite well… the colors are amazing and the print detail surprised me for an Office Jet machine. The color cartridges seem reasonably priced (~$30) and I’ve been doing a lot of printing, so they have decent life in them.

I haven’t used the fax yet, so don’t know much about it.

Overall:
Could be better, I mean there are some problems.. but an All-in-one Office Jet for $200, you can't go wrong… and the image printing is great. I’m happy with it, I don’t think you can get a much better deal on one.

Links:
http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_OfficeJet....html?tag=more

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0
Old May 28, 2004, 10:29 PM   #2
neonart
macrumors 65816

I have one of these at my shop and it's a great machine. I'm not to fond of inkjet copies, but whatever. I also don't like the little HP director Application that wont leave the dock.

Aside from that it prints great, copies well, receives and sends faxes... It does what the brochure said it would.

I too would rather give HP my money, than Dell. At least HP come up with some of their own stuff.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews