Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A recent posting at iPod touch Fans has gained some publicity for the re-discovery of references to an "iPod3,1" model in the public release of iPhone OS 3.0. The current iPod touch is termed "iPod2,1", so the references suggest that Apple will be releasing a revised iPod touch model at some point in the relatively near future. The news is unsurprising, as Apple appears to be following a yearly cycle of product refreshes in recent years, and with both the first- and second-generation iPod touch models having seen September release dates, the release of a revised "iPod3,1" iPod touch in September is a reasonable expectation.

The "iPod3,1" reference was actually first discovered in the iPhone OS 3.0 beta back in March, along with entries for several other unreleased and/or unspecified products. Among those entries was one for "iPhone3,1", which appears to represent yet another iPhone model that has not yet been publicly released. Similarly, the mysterious "iFPGA", and "iProd0,1" products referenced at that time remain unknown.

These findings do seem to predict future models, as reports as far back as late January pointed to the existence of an "iPhone2,1" model, which eventually turned out to be the just-released iPhone 3GS. The next-generation iPod touch would certainly contain the updated ARM Cortex processor and improved Power VR graphics chip found in the iPhone 3GS. Other rumors have even claimed that the next iPod touch would also include a camera, which would presumably also be able to take video. This "iPod3,1" is most likely to be released around September based on Apple's history of iPod updates.

Article Link: "iPod3,1" References in iPhone OS 3.0 Point to iPod Touch Refresh

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
It's going to be very interesting to see where the Touch and the iPod line up is taken. Will the Touch outrank the iPhone with even better graphics? How will they deal with a fragmented userbase? Many other questions.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Will the Touch outrank the iPhone with even better graphics?

My bet for this one is that they won't make a concerted effort to differentiate on this front for the time being, and whichever one is newer will have the best graphics... so yeah, I would guess that, should the next iPod touch come out imminently, it might not be much different from the 3GS, but otherwise, it'll generally be more powerful than the 3GS, get leapfrogged by the next iPhone, and so on...

Rorikynn

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Most people saw this coming. I hope Apple adds a camera (and possibly a built-in mic) to the iPod touch, why not? It only makes sense. It will unify the feature set and expand the customer base of camera-centric apps and services. The iPod touch should be an iPhone without the phone.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I can see the touch getting upgraded but what about the other ipods? Adding a camera to those? What else can they possible do?

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
iFPGA is Apple's field-programmable gate array that they use for testing iPhone ROM revisions and stuff. That's internal, and will never be a product.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
People seem to have forgotten that iPod2,2 was also mentioned. iPod3,1/iPhone3,1 are probably 2010 models.

Edit: I posted this a few months ago, the last time this was brought up:

0x1290 iPhone1,1 - iPhone
0x1291 iPod1,1 - iPod touch
0x1292 iPhone1,2 - iPhone 3G
0x1293 iPod2,1 - iPod touch 2G
0x1294 iPhone2,1 - iPhone 3G (previously unknown)
0x1295 iProd0,1 -
0x1296 iPod2,2 -
0x1297 iPhone3,1 -
0x1298 iFPGA -
0x1299 iPod3,1 -

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
It'll probably have a camera (w/ video), compass,voice controls and be 64GB. It just wont have phone capabilities. Knowing apple

Do you think they would incorporate a compass but no GPS?
GPS would be cool for those who buy a turn by turn navigation app...

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Most people saw this coming. I hope Apple adds a camera (and possibly a built-in mic) to the iPod touch, why not? It only makes sense. It will unify the feature set and expand the customer base of camera-centric apps and services. The iPod touch should be an iPhone without the phone.

That would be lovely. I would love to have the GPS navigation system that is on the iPhone. I'm not so eager about cameras because I'd rather have a dedicated camera that can actually take good pictures that can be reproduced on paper. Phone cameras are still rather mediocre.

The list of features I'd love to see on the iPod touch, in order of desirability would be:

1. Allow bluetooth connection to headsets (so the mic would work)
2. Allow syncing though wifi and bluetooth
3. GPS
4. Built in FM tuner

Aeroplane

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
NO no NO no NO NO NO

You got it all wrong, well, mostly.

This fall they will add the camera, yes that's accurate...but NO VIDEO.
next year (2010) they will add video, and presumably it will have volume, if not, they will add that the following year (2011).
three years later they will add a microphone (2012).

Yeah, just because they can. And still everyone will be jumping up and down WHATEVER Apple releases.

Do You See The Pattern?

:rolleyes: This yearly "refreshes" are starting to get on my nerves, it'll only last for a minute or two, don't worry. :p See, it's already gone.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
As long as Apple holds off until I can sell my free touch that I got with my new MBP.

They only give those out during the back to school specials, which will end very soon before the ipod touch is released.

They'd never give free - new - ipod touches.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
How awesome would it be if the iPod touch got a camera, built in microphone, and cellular data and voice from AT&T?

...Oh wait.

dead76

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Bezel for Touch not phone?

+1 to that and a built in microphone just for the hell of it :D

So is there any reason to think that the leaked bezel that was supposed to be for the new iPhone could be for refreshed touch instead? We all had our mind on the phone, but in reality it might have been for the touch. I guess it could have been faked, but maybe its for a re-design of the touch to include VOIP? Just daydreaming. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.