Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I accidentally checked the option to sync address book contacts from my Mac, even though I was already syncing everything over the air from MobileMe - I ended up with 2 of every contact.

I have managed to delete the "from my Mac" contacts, but the empty groups are still left. Is there any way to delete them?

APharmaSIS

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I accidentally checked the option to sync address book contacts from my Mac, even though I was already syncing everything over the air from MobileMe - I ended up with 2 of every contact.

I have managed to delete the "from my Mac" contacts, but the empty groups are still left. Is there any way to delete them?

I have duplicates also with my PC's Outlook contacts. I was considering doing a full delete as the above poster did, and I was wondering if I'd still have the groups. Now that he's confirmed it, what's the best (and QUICKEST) way to get rid of the duplicates on the iPhone?

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
The only thing I can think of is to back up my Mac's contacts, delete everything, sync with the phone, restore contacts and turn off sync.

But that's a pretty scary thing to do...

I thought that when I de-selected the syncing option in iTunes, it would delete the contacts from my phone, as it does with music. I was wrong :(

doobs

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
1. disable push syncing for mobileme contacts/calendar
2. in itunes, check boxes to sync with contacts/calendar and replace information on this iphone.
3. Sync iphone.
4. On iphone, re-enable push for mobileme contacts/calendar.
5. Do not merge.
6. Uncheck boxes in iTunes to sync with contacts/calendar.
7. sync with iTunes.

That is what I did and it worked.

thebiggerB

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
So I too had multiple address books in my iPhone. One was called "Contacts on my iPhone" and the other "MobileMe Contacts". These were identical so I had duplicate names showing up in my contacts.

Here's my solution to have only one group on the iPhone.
1) disable push notifications on the iPhone
2) delete the MobileMe account on the iPhone
3) reinstall the MobileMe account on the iPhone
4) re-enable push notifications on the iPhone and allow it to merge contacts

Hope this alternative method helps.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I found a free app called "ABC Contacts" which allows you to create and delete groups on the phone.

Personally, I still prefer using the main Contacts apps for day-to-day use, but I keep ABC Contacts on there just to manage groups. Hopefully they will get around to adding group management (and Calendar management!) in 3.2.

johngrese

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Yep, doobes' solution worked for me too. Deleted all of the duplicates from both my contacts and calendar accounts.

1. disable push syncing for mobileme contacts/calendar
2. in itunes, check boxes to sync with contacts/calendar and replace information on this iphone.
3. Sync iphone.
4. On iphone, re-enable push for mobileme contacts/calendar.
5. Do not merge.
6. Uncheck boxes in iTunes to sync with contacts/calendar.
7. sync with iTunes.[/SIZE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.