Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raziiq

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
hey there
i m on OS 3.0 on my iPhone 3g.
I have mobile terminal installed on my iPhone.
But whenever i run these commands i get error.

apt-get update

i get this error: apt-get command not found
Any suggestions?

clearchaos

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
what are you trying to update?
apt-get is not a recognizable command for the iphone terminal. basically it has a few minor built in commands, and then if you install erica utilities you get more. here's EU's commands.

raziiq

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
thanks for the reply. Infact when i was on Firmware 2.2, apt-get install cydia, this command worked for me, but now i m on firmware 3.0 and that command is not working for me anymore, so thats why i was asking. I mean i dont know, why this core command is missing from MobileTerminal. I am a uBuntu user and use to play with terminal alot.

raziiq

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
waoo i have got it !!!.
thank GOD at last, i have got it.

Well someone else looking for this here is the solution if u are having an unknow command error while using apt.

Firmware 3.0 doesnt have this installed by default when u jailbreak it, so u need to install Aptitude from Cydia, and then if u use apt-get command in Terminal, BOOM, it ll work !!! :D

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
waoo i have got it !!!.
thank GOD at last, i have got it.

Well someone else looking for this here is the solution if u are having an unknow command error while using apt.

Firmware 3.0 doesnt have this installed by default when u jailbreak it, so u need to install Aptitude from Cydia, and then if u use apt-get command in Terminal, BOOM, it ll work !!! :D

-----

For anyone that's curious, aptitude wasn't in Cydia when I checked (IP4 @ 4.2.1). I'm currently utilizing the tethered JB and installed "AptBackup" instead (which installed all of the required Apt packages, etc).

Then from the command line I tried using apt-get upgrade and it worked like a charm.

orien2v2

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
-----

For anyone that's curious, aptitude wasn't in Cydia when I checked (IP4 @ 4.2.1). I'm currently utilizing the tethered JB and installed "AptBackup" instead (which installed all of the required Apt packages, etc).

Then from the command line I tried using apt-get upgrade and it worked like a charm.

Thank God you posted this because I've been searching for hours! No wonder I can't find Aptitude anywhere! Thanks a bunch!

Q-Branch

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
-----

Thanks for posting this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.