Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yiannos9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
i have an iphone 3g with version 2.2.1 and modem firmware 02.30.03.
how can i jailbreak and unlock it so i can use my own carrier?
i have searched all over the web and i read many guides but i dont quite understand how i will do it or if its possible to do it because of the firmware which is 02.30.03

if anybody can help i would really appreciate it.

thanks

hamsup1o

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
Not sure if ultrasn0w will work but you can go to Cydia and download 3G Fuzzyband Downgrader which will downgrade your baseband to 02.28.00. Then install yellowsn0w (also from Cydia) to unlock.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
i have an iphone 3g with version 2.2.1 and modem firmware 02.30.03.
how can i jailbreak and unlock it so i can use my own carrier?
i have searched all over the web and i read many guides but i dont quite understand how i will do it or if its possible to do it because of the firmware which is 02.30.03

if anybody can help i would really appreciate it.

thanks
You don't. :)

You upgrade to 3.0 and use redsn0w and ultrasn0w.
http://blog.iphone-dev.org

yiannos9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Not sure if ultrasn0w will work but you can go to Cydia and download 3G Fuzzyband Downgrader which will downgrade your baseband to 02.28.00. Then install yellowsn0w (also from Cydia) to unlock.

i dont have cydia installed for some reason.
now what i do?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
my itunes dont recognise the phone and says that sim card is invalid .
so i cannot upgrade to 3.0 and make the steps to jailbreak through redsn0w.
how can i upgrade if itunes dont recognise the iphone?

Have you already tried putting the device in DFU mode and restoring? That will upgrade you to 3.0. :) Then all you need is red/ultrasn0w.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Put the phone in DFU mode. iTunes will display a message that the phone needs to be restored. Shift+Click on restore (Option+click for Mac) and select the 3.0 firmware you downloaded.
Or you can remove the SIM card before connecting to iTunes so you can update/restore without DFU mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.