Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Donny Bahama
macrumors newbie

For Sale: Gently used, preowned iPhone app (????)

Got my 3GS on release day. It's my first iPhone (and my first Apple product). It has exceeded my expectations - but I can't say the same for every app I've purchased.

What's the protocol in such a situation? Does the app store have a returns desk? Can I sell my used, unwanted (but PAID FOR!) apps on Craigslist? What's the deal, here?

Googling for this returns nothing useful; I can't find where this has ever been discussed. Surely people don't just buy an iPhone app, figure out that it doesn't meet their needs, then uninstall it and say, "Bummer. Ten bucks down the drain." Do they?!
Donny Bahama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:07 AM   #2
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Unless there's an actual fault (like, it doesn't even work), you're out of luck. It's strictly buyer beware. Never buy an app on impulse.

JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:47 AM   #3
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
Surely people don't just buy an iPhone app, figure out that it doesn't meet their needs, then uninstall it and say, "Bummer. Ten bucks down the drain." Do they?!
Of course they do.
That's how digital content works.
See: iTunes.
JBaker122586 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Mike2128
macrumors regular

No refunds. Watch the trigger finger next time.
Mike2128 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:05 AM   #5
Donny Bahama
macrumors newbie

Got it. Thanks for all the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2128 View Post
It wasn't really an issue of a quick trigger finger, per se. It was due more to the fact that it's a fairly elaborate/complicated app and the functionality wasn't fully/adequately described (in detail).

That combined with the omission of a feature that I consider so basic and essential that it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be there. Lesson learned, I guess.

Last edited by SilentPanda; Jul 2, 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: post merge
Donny Bahama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:12 AM   #6
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2128 View Post
When the App store came out last year I disabled "1 click buying" on iTunes on all my computers. It's just too easy to drop a few bucks unintentionally because of a finger spasm.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:18 AM   #7
dougdawson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
It wasn't really an issue of a quick trigger finger, per se. It was due more to the fact that it's a fairly elaborate/complicated app and the functionality wasn't fully/adequately described (in detail).

That combined with the omission of a feature that I consider so basic and essential that it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be there. Lesson learned, I guess.
You should contact the developer, via their Web site (always reachable from the app's page in iTunes, at least.) Every developer I know is very responsive, and they all love feedback from users, good bad or in between. You should be able to get it straightened out.

Doug
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Mike2128
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacreativeguy View Post
When the App store came out last year I disabled "1 click buying" on iTunes on all my computers. It's just too easy to drop a few bucks unintentionally because of a finger spasm.
Oh I still do it. I delete my email receipts without reading them. Sometimes I just don't want to know.
Mike2128 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps