Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iron Chef

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I know it sounds silly, but I actually like to have a name for each one of my iPhones and iPods. When I got my 3GS, I restored from a backup which gave it the name of my 3G.

I tried to restore and setup as a new phone, but then when I tried to pull all of my content from a backup, and renamed it back to the 3G.

Any ideas?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Plug it in. In iTunes, click the name that shows up on the left panel, click it again and it will highlight in blue. Type in a new name, press enter, and boom: profit!

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

If I understand correctly, go to iTunes on a computer with your phone plugged in. Then, click on your iPhone in the left. While highlighted, click the name again and you should be able to rename it. Not sure if this is what you want, though. Good luck!

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
Connect it to your computer so that it shows up in iTunes on the left side.

Click on the phone name there, you'll be able to change the name. You might have to sync after that, I don't remember.

Mine is called Newton now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.