Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hiya guys,

Im lookign at settting up an itunes server but feelin frustrated.. if any could give me any help or advice that would be great...

Basically I want all my media stored on a NAS connected to Airport Extreme.

I want my 3 macs and apple tv to treat this as there library and so if one mac adds some files the others can use it. Also if i purchase a film on apple tv my other macs can see it ?? as in i would like it to put files purchase don the apple tv to the NAS also... is thios doable?

im not bother about shared ratings or playlists.. jus shared files across 3 macs and apple tv... is this at all doable?

i plan on gettin netgear ready nas running firefly server..

any guidance or confirmation greatly appreciated =D

cheers

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
as an addition.. obviously rented movies im happy to just be on apple tv as id get them in hd...

on this basis if i only purchase movies (i assume selection is identical) via one of my macs - i assume this would be a good way to share across everything

my concern being it seems near impossible?? to have the apple tvs library also use the NAS...

if i can get round this tho by always dl films via a mac im happy with this.. as ill probably buy the dvd and rip it mostly anyway... but i may use the apple tv to rent..

cheers

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I tried to do this and gave up in the end. The NAS wouldn't mount like a normal external drive (why, I don't know).

If you work it out, let me know!

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I tries and failed.

I now use a mini and a drobo as my media server and the library streams to all computers/ stereo speakers and TVs in the house. The ATV is used for rentals.

A but more expensive than what you were thinking, but an excellent setup.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I've also been thinking about using a Mac Mini and an external 1TB+ drive for my ATV, but I'm amazed how expensive even the oldest ones are on eBay! I thought I'd be able to pick one up for £50.

Poo.

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I tries and failed.

I now use a mini and a drobo as my media server and the library streams to all computers/ stereo speakers and TVs in the house. The ATV is used for rentals.

A but more expensive than what you were thinking, but an excellent setup.

hiya,

so does thsi set up work well? as i guess in theory ur mini+drobo setup is similar to my readynas...

Do all computers have the mini set as the media library? and as ones updated is the other? how about syncing to ipods.. does this work well?

kadeschs

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
FreeNAS on an old computer would work. It has a built in iTunes Server (Firefly) and you can set up shares that any computer on your network can see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.