Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
windywoo
Banned

Wonky iBook.

I let the charge run out of my G4 iBook the other day to recalibrate the battery but when I tried to turn it on again it wouldn't respond, with or without the charger plugged in. When I took the battery out it would turn on but just blasted the fans.

I completely recharged the battery and it still gave me the blasting fans. I took it apart, made sure all the cables were tight and it still wouldn't boot. From time to time it would give me chimes, give me a grey apple and then a black screen (backlit).

Then, after reading some google results I applied pressure on the case and tried it at various angles. Oddly, it came on when I tilted it, and thereafter would power up without tilting. However, it went into sleep mode earlier and wouldn't come out until I powered it off and on again.

To add further mystery, when I manually put it into sleep it works fine, from Apple menu or lid closing.

Google suggests a faulty logic board, but those posts all mentioned that the machines stopped working altogether. Mine is working but messing with my head. Is it a logic board on its way out or a connection I have missed when I took it apart?

Cheers.
windywoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
cMacSW
macrumors regular

Sounds like the logicboard.
cMacSW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:41 PM   #3
philipt42
macrumors 6502

Probably logic board...

...but i fixed mine by soldering the gpu, which is the chip under the hard drive cord. a helpful site...URL="http://coreyarnold.org/ibook"]http://coreyarnold.org/ibook[/URL]

btw, that was today. and i did it w/a screwdriver and the stove burner!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overview.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	179327  
philipt42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs