Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:18 PM   #1
bbadalucco
macrumors 6502

Blu Ray (Files) on Mac Mini

I'd like to purchase a mac mini and use it as an HTPC. In order to do so, I'd like to rip my blu ray collection to something compatable with the mac mini.

Currently I have the following software:
Blu Ray Drive
AnyDVD HD
TSMuxer
Handbrake
Toast - On my MBP

I'd like to rip the blu ray so that the video quality is the same, I'm not as worried about audio and I don't have much of a surround sound.

IF I can get some help with this and figure it out I'll finally be able to move forward with my HTPC system.

If anyone can layout some steps or point me in the right direction I'd appreicate it. I've read through the "Blu Ray to Apple TV Thread", but I"m looking to use a mac mini and 1080P.

Thanks in advance
bbadalucco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Rankrotten
macrumors regular

Install Plex as your media centre front end on the Mac Mini and you will have no problems. Follow the guide here on ripping Blu-Ray for use in Plex: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Blu_Ray_Rips
Rankrotten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadalucco View Post
I'd like to purchase a mac mini and use it as an HTPC. In order to do so, I'd like to rip my blu ray collection to something compatable with the mac mini.
I'd suggest you get the 2.26 gHz Mini. There some parts of some Blu-ray rips that are at very high bit rates (and some with variable frame rates) that really push the Mini. As mentioned above, get Plex (or XBMC).

Quote:
I'd like to rip the blu ray so that the video quality is the same, I'm not as worried about audio and I don't have much of a surround sound.
You'll have it simpler. Just use rip the Blu-ray disc with AnyDVD HD, then pass it through tsmuxer to downconvert the True-HD or DTS-HD audio to Dolby Digital or DTS. This will relax a lot of stress on your cpu in Plex because Plex won't have to transcode these on the fly. It also preserves the original video so there's no loss from the original disc.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater