Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
SBsettings does this with just a flick of a toggle switch. Also a new tweak showed up today on Cydia called ThreeG S which does the same thing, although I haven't tried it.

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Thats why my battery wasn't lasting as long as it did before!!! Thanks for the info. I've uninstalled SBsettings (I was only ever using it for the battery percentage) and tried this hack and it DOES work.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
So I'm not an expert on this, but I thought I'd post this here. Hopefully, someone can get some use out of it!

http://gizmodo.com/5302258/how-to-get-the-iphone-3gs-battery-indicator-on-all-iphones-and-ipod-touches

Pretty easy instructions...

Thank you! This worked flawlessly. Question is... will the toggle switch stay after a restore (like emoji did)?

I'm hoping to have this option without jailbreaking. If I can restore and keep the setting. I think I can.

Scott4551

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Where do I actually type the new script...That file has alot of weird writing and last time I tried I ****ed things up pretty good...

DIABLOW

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I installed the ThreeG S in to my 3G iPhone but seem does not work with my iPhone. Do I need to install the SBS and SSH to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

atlantatan1

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
I installed the ThreeG S in to my 3G iPhone but seem does not work with my iPhone. Do I need to install the SBS and SSH to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

you already have it on 3GS just go setting click on gerneral and clicl on usage to turn on battery %

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
My solution was to simply add the source iphone.org.hk/apt into cydia and there is a percentage add on from their repo that works flawlessly for me and doesn't eat the battery like sbsettings does.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My solution was to simply add the source iphone.org.hk/apt into cydia and there is a percentage add on from their repo that works flawlessly for me and doesn't eat the battery like sbsettings does.

That worked great for me but some dont want to jailbreak their phones for some reason. Cant imagine why. Ive had many of these apps for months that those people are just getting and having to buy a new phone for it.

I hope the battery is better in this one than in SBSettings.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Can you do this on a PC since you have to SSH into it?

Yes, you need iphonebrowser to copy the com.apple.springboard.plist to your c: drive. You then need to download plist editor for windows to edit the file.

(make backup of com.apple.springboard.plist to your local drive and rename to "copy of com.apple.springboard.plist" incase you want to reverse)

iphone browser
http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloads/list

plist editor
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/File-Editors/plist-Editor-for-Windows.shtml

It took less than five minutes. When you copy the file back, turn off the phone with slide to turn off function. then start the phone back up.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Install SBS, turn Battery % on, and uninstall SBS and it will still be there.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Install SBS, turn Battery % on, and uninstall SBS and it will still be there.

Or, just do what it says in post #11. That was simple. Now, since 2:06PM when i posted my post that i did that to right now at 4:45pm, i have went from 87% to 65% while messing with Cydia some, uploading a few pis to photobucket and looking at some emails and one 15 min phone call.

Not sure how fast SBSettings drained the battery.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
SBSettings eats battery life...

I have SBSettings & Winterboard running and have no battery problems. (Both have been accussed of draining the battery)

I really think there is another issue causing this and for those affected phones, JB apps just speed up the battery loss.

Otherwise, why are many of us not seeing the battery drain.

Hopefully, someone will figure it out.

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
The easiest way to do this trick is to install iFile from Cydia (not to be confused with iFile in the app store), open it, browse to the directory, tap the plist, tap edit, type in the string and tap save.

DIABLOW

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
The easiest way to do this trick is to install iFile from Cydia (not to be confused with iFile in the app store), open it, browse to the directory, tap the plist, tap edit, type in the string and tap save.

I am very confused :confused: . I installed the iFile from the cydia and followed your instruction but there is no DIRECTORY in my ifile.

What I have in my ifile is.

backup
cache
commcentre
db
ea
empty
folder
keychains
lib
local
lock
log
logs
manage preferences
mobile
mobiledevice
msgs
preferences
root
run
spool
stash
tmp
vm

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
I am very confused :confused: . I installed the iFile from the cydia and followed your instruction but there is no DIRECTORY in my ifile.

What I have in my ifile is.

backup
cache
commcentre
db
ea
empty
folder
keychains
lib
local
lock
log
logs
manage preferences
mobile
mobiledevice
msgs
preferences
root
run
spool
stash
tmp
vm

That's in the /var directory, you need to start in the root directory, or "/". Tap the button on the upper left in ifile until it just says "/" at the top middle of the screen. Then tap System > Library > CoreServices > Springboard.app > M68AP.plist. Then tap edit, edit it and save.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009

This worked well for me. Once installed through cydia go to Settings>General>Usage. You'll see "Battery Percentage" and a switch to turn it on/off. Simple and effective. :)

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
This worked well for me. Once installed through cydia go to Settings>General>Usage. You'll see "Battery Percentage" and a switch to turn it on/off. Simple and effective. :)

I guess it boils down to what your comfort level is. If I didn't want slingbox over 3g I would never have considered a JB. Now that I did I want to limit my exposure to unknown sources. If I can do this manually and see what's being done, I'll do it, plus its a learning experience. If people feel OK installing repos from Hong Kong, more power to them.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I guess it boils down to what your comfort level is. If I didn't want slingbox over 3g I would never have considered a JB. Now that I did I want to limit my exposure to unknown sources. If I can do this manually and see what's being done, I'll do it, plus its a learning experience. If people feel OK installing repos from Hong Kong, more power to them.

The entire phone was built in China so whats the difference? If it wasnt a good working app, im sure Cydia wouldnt allow it their database. It sure beats the one in SBSettings that drains your battery.

Really what it boils down to is what you want.
I dont want to keep buying a new phone every year and ive been using many of these apps for months that new phone buyers are excited about to be getting now. I havent had any big problems with Cydia apps at all so im good with using them. Some people are just wusses when it comes to their phone. I have seen some say they have to scrub their hands after they eat before they touch their iphone...LOL

It is a phone. Use it to it's capability.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
The entire phone was built in China so whats the difference? If it wasnt a good working app, im sure Cydia wouldnt allow it their database. It sure beats the one in SBSettings that drains your battery.

Really what it boils down to is what you want.
I dont want to keep buying a new phone every year and ive been using many of these apps for months that new phone buyers are excited about to be getting now. I havent had any big problems with Cydia apps at all so im good with using them. Some people are just wusses when it comes to their phone. I have seen some say they have to scrub their hands after they eat before they touch their iphone...LOL

It is a phone. Use it to it's capability.

I'm not sure what making the phone in China and adding other repos have in common other than it appears the one mentioned above may be from HK. Be that as it may, there are a few suspect repos included in Cydia. However that is the risk I decided to take to have Slingbox on 3g. Besides the standard stuff needed for the JB, I only added tricker3G which added mobile substrate. Beyond that if I can do a hack thats worth it without using Cydia, I'm up for finding the tools and giving it a try. I once tricked a phone out so much, I realized that the primary purpose, making and receiving phone calls no longer worked, but I could browse the internet LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.