Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:42 AM   #1
durhambullsfan
macrumors newbie

Very slow speed when using Airport Express

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently moved, and I transferred my comcast high-speed internet service. At my old residence, I used my airport express base station (802.11b/g) with my cable modem, and the internet was quite fast. At my new residence, I set up my network and the speed is quite slow. I initially attributed the problem to Comcast, and spent more than an hour on the phone with them this morning. However, I discovered that when I plugged my MBP directly into the cable modem, the internet was blazing fast. So the problem seems to be with the Airport Express. I'm thinking about just upgrading to an extreme, but I wanted to ask people in the forum to make sure there's not some obvious thing i'm missing so I don't waste my money. I don't really understand why my Airport Express would suddenly become very slow when it was working fine last week, but I don't know how else to explain this problem.

I checked my speed using speedtest.net. It measured my download speed as 0.79 Mb/s when connected to airport, and approximately 15.5 Mb/s when connected directly to the cable modem. That's a nearly 20-fold difference! Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
durhambullsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

try a different channel?

If the only thing that has changed (besides your provider) is physical location, chances are there is some sort of interference.

it could be a lot of your neighbors are on the same channel. Check out istumbler if you're on a mac, it can show you what channel the neighbors are using. Try to get as far as possible from the others, 1,6, & 11 are the only channels that don't overlap.

It could be wireless interference, microwave ovens and cordless phones are 2 things that operate in the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

also are you comparing speeds when you're in the same room as the express, it could be your new place is constructed differently, and the signal has a harder time going through walls.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3
durhambullsfan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
try a different channel?

If the only thing that has changed (besides your provider) is physical location, chances are there is some sort of interference.

it could be a lot of your neighbors are on the same channel. Check out istumbler if you're on a mac, it can show you what channel the neighbors are using. Try to get as far as possible from the others, 1,6, & 11 are the only channels that don't overlap.

It could be wireless interference, microwave ovens and cordless phones are 2 things that operate in the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

also are you comparing speeds when you're in the same room as the express, it could be your new place is constructed differently, and the signal has a harder time going through walls.
That's helpful, I'll give iStumbler a try. I am using it in the same room--very close to the express--so i think it's not the walls. I'll mess around with the channels and see if that helps. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4
durhambullsfan
macrumors newbie

I used iStumbler and it turned out there were lots of networks on channel 11 in my building. There were several on 1 and 6 as well. I switched to 9 and the connection is MUCH faster now. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
durhambullsfan
macrumors newbie

Hmm, it was faster for about 2 minutes. Now it's back to being very slow. I don't understand what's going on here. . . any further suggestions?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:46 AM   #6
durhambullsfan
macrumors newbie

The speed seems to keep going up and down. Does this sound like an interference problem? Should I upgrade to Extreme?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Sehnsucht
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambullsfan View Post
The speed seems to keep going up and down. Does this sound like an interference problem? Should I upgrade to Extreme?
Yes, definitely. I ran a speed test in another thread where I could easily get 24 Mbps download speeds over my Extreme, and 25 over ethernet. The range is very good too.

EDIT: Just a few minutes ago, I got to see for myself another reason why the AirPort Extremes are teh Awesomness. I needed to update my APE's firmware, but forgot the device password. Fixing it was ridiculously simple: reset it using the button on the back of the unit, and AirPort Utility reconfigured the network settings automatically from backup. It took 5 minutes, as opposed to my old Linksys which was a hellish, 2-day ordeal that I'd much rather forget...

Last edited by Sehnsucht; Jun 25, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Sehnsucht is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals