Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1
SanFran
macrumors newbie

Home button not working after water damage

My iPhone had water spilled on it. I restored it and it is working okay. But the home button is not functioning all the time and there is a small smear of residue under the screen. When I press the home button I have to hold it for a few seconds and sometimes it will back out of an ap and return to the main page. Other times I have to do that over and over again before it returns to the main page. Also from sleep mode it will not activate from the home button, I have to use the sleep/wake button. I have done a hard restart and that did not help (which I didn't think it would).

Do you guys think this is an issue caused by the water?

If so-

I have read some post that explain how to remove the front and back cover. Is this recommended for a novice?

Does the rice trick really work?

Or should I just take it back to Apple and see if they will help me(hopefully they will be kind since it was a refurb to begin with)
SanFran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
AiralynRose
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to AiralynRose
When getting electronics wet:
1. turn it off
2. take out the battery if you can (i know, you can't with an iPhone)
3. put it in dry rice, in a baggy, and on a window sill with a little sun
4. WAIT (the longer the better (days). make sure it is 100% dry before you turn it back on!!!)

Apple WILL NOT replace anything that has been water-damaged. Regardless if the damage was caused by the water or not. They might offer you a $199 out of warranty replacement.

And, DO NOT attempt to take an iPhone apart unless you are really good at taking things apart and putting them back together. It is not easy.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:57 PM   #3
SanFran
macrumors newbie

Unanswered opinion

Thank you for your suggestions. The rice trick seems to be what everyone suggest.

My question about the home button is still a mystery to me. But I will give it time and dry it out more before I go to the Apple store.
SanFran is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting