Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3GS916

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Hey all, Ive had my 3gs for only three days and after a close inspection, it seems as though the hairline cracks are back (not like they ever went away) what's surprising is that this iPhone has been absolutely babied. In a case since the first hour. The cracks are in a the usual spots, speakers, dock connector, sim tray, volume bar. About 10 in all. Check your phones people! Looks like we've got another battle on our hands.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
What kind of case do you have on it? I've heard some of the tight fitting cases like the incase slider will cause cracks.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Hey all, Ive had my 3gs for only three days and after a close inspection, it seems as though the hairline cracks are back (not like they ever went away) what's surprising is that this iPhone has been absolutely babied. In a case since the first hour. The cracks are in a the usual spots, speakers, dock connector, sim tray, volume bar. About 10 in all. Check your phones people! Looks like we've got another battle on our hands.

Not sure about yours, mine is fine and it's been naked since launch day...

3GS916

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Se capsule rebel. Not very tight fitting at all. This is still a nasty defect. Cases can't be blamed for the cracking.

Well I've got a genius appt tomorrow, I'm expecting an easy replacement as I've had it done 3 times before. Ugh

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

AFAIC, that's great news! Since the case cracks are a known defect, Apple will replace the phone when asked; I'm usually in and out of the store in less than ten minutes. And since the oleophobic screen on the 3GS is apparently prone to scratches, this means that whenever I start noticing scratches on the screen, I'll have a valid excuse (hairline case cracks) to get my phone replaced!!

Thank you Apple. :D

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
And since the oleophobic screen on the 3GS is apparently prone to scratches...

Is this true? I just took my anti-glare film off...

How would the oleophobic coating make the screen more prone to scratches? It's just a coating that helps resist fingerprints.

I've had my iPhone 3G S since day one... no scratches here. I keep it in my left pocket all alone. Maybe if you throw your iPhone in the same pocket as coins and keys, you'll get scratches... but that's not rocket science.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
How would the oleophobic coating make the screen more prone to scratches? It's just a coating that helps resist fingerprints.

Don't talk to us like we're idiots for assuming a coating put over something as resistant to scratches as glass wouldn't make it more prone to scratches. It's common sense logic.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :p

3GS916

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
AFAIC, that's great news! Since the case cracks are a known defect, Apple will replace the phone when asked; I'm usually in and out of the store in less than ten minutes. And since the oleophobic screen on the 3GS is apparently prone to scratches, this means that whenever I start noticing scratches on the screen, I'll have a valid excuse (hairline case cracks) to get my phone replaced!!

Thank you Apple. :D

HAHA exactly! The first time I replaced my 3G, it wasnt because of the cracks at all. My chrome bezel and apple logo were looking horrible! But this time, nothing else is wrong with it, just these annoying cracks. Apple is in the middle of an investigation right now as to why this is happening. When I called up last time I had my 3G replaced (about a week ago, 3 days ago i upgraded to 3GS,) they asked me a couple questions (what case do u have, where do you commonly carry your phone) and then when I went in to the bar, the genius asked me the same questions. So atleast apple is aware of the problem and is taking steps towards a resolution.

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :p

lol, I always think that in my head when I read a thread like this. I'll try to take some, my camera isnt all that good.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
HAHA exactly! The first time I replaced my 3G, it wasnt because of the cracks at all. My chrome bezel and apple logo were looking horrible! But this time, nothing else is wrong with it, just these annoying cracks. Apple is in the middle of an investigation right now as to why this is happening. When I called up last time I had my 3G replaced (about a week ago, 3 days ago i upgraded to 3GS,) they asked me a couple questions (what case do u have, where do you commonly carry your phone) and then when I went in to the bar, the genius asked me the same questions. So atleast apple is aware of the problem and is taking steps towards a resolution.
Apple has been aware of this problem since the release of the 3G. Sounds like they didnt change anything with the case for the 3GS. Very disappointing, but typical of Apple lately.

3GS916

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Well, I'm not sure. In my case, it doesnt matter...this phone shouldnt be cracking after 3 days. Just the way the case cracks and the hairline nature of the cracks is not normal, case or no case, its wrong.

also, tried taking pics, but my camera (casio exilim) has terrible macro, it just wont focus.... nice 8 megapixels though.

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
Well, I'm not sure. In my case, it doesnt matter...this phone shouldnt be cracking after 3 days. Just the way the case cracks and the hairline nature of the cracks is not normal, case or no case, its wrong.

You make perfect sense! I am planning to upgrade my 2G iPhone next week (after the rush) and this is the one known problem with the newer case design that I do not look forward to "possibly" dealing with. My 2G build is so solid. It might be slow, but it is a gorgeous phone that is built so well.

3GS916

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
cant post in above reply, but this is exactly what mine looks like. In the same spot too. More of the same can be found at the sim tray and speakers. Considering this phone has been babied, im wandering if its a heat related issue. who knows.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cracked_iphone_05.jpg
    cracked_iphone_05.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 8,879

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
cant post in above reply, but this is exactly what mine looks like. In the same spot too. More of the same can be found at the sim tray and speakers. Considering this phone has been babied, im wandering if its a heat related issue. who knows.

attachment.php

Thanks for the photos. That is sad to see after 3 days of being babied. I am not sure if it is a heat issue, but anything is possible. I would imagine that Apple will replace your phone. They definitely should. Seeing cracks like that would really bother me. Good luck to you.

WildBomber

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
It has nothing to do with cases. Literally minutes after I bought and activated my 3G S, I sat down to have a little play around and noticed 4 hairline cracks in the back casing; 2 below the SIM card tray and 2 below the power/sleep button. Needless to say, they replaced it straight away.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
It has nothing to do with cases. Literally minutes after I bought and activated my 3G S, I sat down to have a little play around and noticed 4 hairline cracks in the back casing; 2 below the SIM card tray and 2 below the power/sleep button. Needless to say, they replaced it straight away.
Was yours white or black? Obviously the white one is easier to spot.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Just out of curiosity, has anyone who has (or had) cracks on their iphone had little pieces of the plastic fall off as a result? I have little cracks around the screws close to the speakers and I'm wondering if its because those screws went in to tight.

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA

Glad you got a replacement so easily. What color is yours?

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
if the phone still works who cares

I have an old nokia flip phone with casing that falls off if you look at it the wrong way.

The phone functions themselves work beautifully...as long as the battery doesn't drop out when the casing goes...

I figure I'd trash it now that I have my new iphone, but after reading your post, I thought I'd try selling it to you.

Whaddya say? $20?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.