Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibrainch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
ok, so now that this Remote App on the iphone works very well, I would like to place remote speakers (attached to Airport Express) around my house which will then all be able to be controlled from my iphone (through central iMac). This got me thinking about the ipod hifi which would meet my needs but has seemingly disappeared from existence. I actually don't even need or want something with an ipod dock - just small and great self-amplified speakers. Any recommendations?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Just buy any of the zillions of reasonable quality computer speakers, which are all self powered.

ibrainch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
Computer speakers?

But I'm looking for something for bedroom, living room, and one set for family room - can computer speakers fill a room?

asazad

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Audioengine A5

ok, so now that this Remote App on the iphone works very well, I would like to place remote speakers (attached to Airport Express) around my house which will then all be able to be controlled from my iphone (through central iMac). This got me thinking about the ipod hifi which would meet my needs but has seemingly disappeared from existence. I actually don't even need or want something with an ipod dock - just small and great self-amplified speakers. Any recommendations?

Get these. Trust me.
http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
But I'm looking for something for bedroom, living room, and one set for family room - can computer speakers fill a room?

sure, there's nothing magically different about computer speakers, they're just regular powered speakers. Just look for a model of speakers that have a high watt rating and they'll be plenty loud. Or alternatively, coming out of an airport express you can connect the audio output to any home stereo with an aux input. And all home stereos that aren't the very lowest of the low end will have aux inputs.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Try the boston I-DS2 dock, it looks SORTA like an iPod Hi-Fi and sounds a lot better. The Duo-I is the same thing, cheaper, and better if you like the knobs.

I had a Hi-Fi :) It was great though! Just . . starting to become obsolete and I sold it for a lot more than I bought it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.