Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac N00b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I am new to mac and was given an ibook for free by a friend. I took it to the apple store and the tech said that all it needed was a new HD. SO I bought a Western Digital 80GB for the ibook and had it installed. Now when I turn it on, it flashes the infamous question mark file. After a few seconds it switches to the smiling computer face. Then it freezes. I have only have one OSX 10.2 install CD.

First question- What is the smiling computer?
Second- How can I format the new HD?
Third- Why would it be freezing?
Fourth-How can I get it working?

Any help that would be great!

Mac N00b

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The smiling computer makes me think it's trying to boot into Classic environment (OS 9)...

If you put the OS CD in the drive, and reboot while holding down the "c" key (without quotes, just the c), it should boot from the optical drive and let you reformat/re-install the OS or whatever.

Mac N00b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Thank you so much for responding!

Ok I tried booting up the ibook with the CD in the drive while holding down the "C" button. It turned on and showed a blank grey screen. All the while the CD was spinning and "sounded" like it was trying to work. After a minute or two, the spinning stopped and the grey scree nwas still there. THe only sound was the fans rotating. Any suggesstions or is my ibook trash? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.