Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:12 AM   #1
koko32
macrumors newbie

removing back of iMac G5- no phillips screws

Hi all,

I have an iMac G5, 20 inch with isight (Late 2006 model).

I am pretty sure I have a power supply failure and have not backed up my mac... ever. Tsk, Tsk.
I need to get inside to get the hard drive out in order to back it up. The mac is dead. The mac support manuals just show phillips(+) screws, but I have torque(*) screws.
the configuration is * * (+ memory slots + ) * *

Does anyone know how to open the back in order to reach the drive,
or know of another way to back up a dead mac?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -koko
koko32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Tom Dahl
macrumors member

I have an original-model iMac G5. I haven't opened it in about five months, but I do think it uses philips screws. If your newer-rev model seems to use torx screws, then it probably does!

I suggest going to a hardware store and buying a couple of torx screwdrivers -- say, a #10, #12, and #15 or so to cover the likely size range. Unlike philips screws, torx screws are more like hex nuts when it comes to compatibility with the tool; you need a good fit in order to work at all.

Opening the back of my iMac G5 was very easy. Access to the necessary few screws was simple, and the complete back lifted right out. (Much much easier than opening an Aluminum iMac!)
Tom Dahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs