Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6six6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
If me, and someone else, were both born at the exact same time in two different time zones, with a 17 hour difference (Vancouver and Sydney), who would be older?

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
What if they both moved to Spain and got married and had kids that were born at the same time twins in fact i did not punctuate for more drama

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Maybe I'm reading the question correctly, but if two people are born at say, 9pm on Saturday the 15th in their respective time zones, doesn't that date and time come "earlier" in Sydney than Vancouver? So wouldn't the Sydney child be older? Maybe my brain isn't working properly at this late hour.

Edit: I know I'm up late when the UK contingent of MacRumors is on at the same time as I am.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Technically, the person in Sydney would begin celebrating each birthday earlier than the person in Vancouver, and thus, legally, would be considered older.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Convert both to UTC+0 and then you'll know the answer.

The point the OP is trying to make is that if you do that, and they're born at exactly the same time, who's older.

i.e. Someone born at 3pm somewhere that's UTC+3, and someone born at 9am somewhere that's UTC-3 - are born at the same 'time'.

So who's older.

I suggest that the person who can begin celebrating each birthday first (i.e. the UTC+3 person) is legally older, as he/she can start driving/drinking/fornicating etc etc 6 hours earlier than the UTC-3 person.. under the assumption that they remain in the native time-zone and all laws for age restrictions being equal.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Aussie wins!

"Time waits for no man." We didn't create nor do we control time. Time zones are simply a way mankind chooses to organize itself. If you actually think about it, as a species we can be quite OCD. :p

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
It wouldn't make a difference, because age is determined based on two points, relative only to the individual whose age is under discussion: Point A (birth) and Point B (what the time/date is now).

Assuming both infantile subjects were born (however impossibly, save only for the purposes of postulation as in this analogy) at the exact, precise same sub-microscopic-nanosecond both would be the same age. When the birthday arrives doesn't effect the fact that both were born at this same, precise instant in time.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
It wouldn't make a difference, because age is determined based on two points, relative only to the individual whose age is under discussion: Point A (birth) and Point B (what the time/date is now).

Assuming both infantile subjects were born (however impossibly, save only for the purposes of postulation as in this analogy) at the exact, precise same sub-microscopic-nanosecond both would be the same age. When the birthday arrives doesn't effect the fact that both were born at this same, precise instant in time.
Pretty much what I was going to say, except you said it in more complicated words. :eek:

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Isn't Sydney ahead of Vancouver in time? If two people were born at the exact same time in those two cities, wouldn't the person in Vancouver technically be born the day before the person in Sydney?

Yes, in terms of just comparing local times/dates. But if you imagine them living in their respective birth cities, since the time difference will never change, they will celebrate their birthdays at the same times, year after year, despite different dates. The Vancouver-born is only "older" when in Sydney, and the Sydney-born is only "younger" in Vancouver.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
OK like the other guy said it doens't matter what time zone, they will have existed on the earth the same amount of time, making them exactly the same.

But what if one was born in space and lived on the moon for his first 10 years?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Yes, in terms of just comparing local times/dates. But if you imagine them living in their respective birth cities, since the time difference will never change, they will celebrate their birthdays at the same times, year after year, despite different dates. The Vancouver-born is only "older" when in Sydney, and the Sydney-born is only "younger" in Vancouver.

Ah, I see what you mean. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.